Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

78DL05AP problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdanh2002

Hi, I found a bunch of 78DL05AP voltage regulators in my junk box. I assume it has the same pinout as LM7805. However. when I applied 9V to it, all I get is 8.9V output. This is the same for all these chips. Can I assume that those chips are faulty? It's hard to believe all of them are faulty!

hi,
Look at this d/s for pins.

Attachments

• datasheet(1).pdf
    336 KB · Views: 610
I assume it has the same pinout as LM7805
Don't assume, check the datasheet. I had a quick look at the Toshiba sheet, and it claims the legs are numbered left to right 1,3,2. Which I thought was strange for a start.

Last edited:
Thanks eric, that's the datasheet I am using too. The part suffix is AF but I believe the pin layout should be the same. My 78DL05AP has the same packaging as other 7805s I am using. So I believe mine are faulty. What possibly could have caused all of them (~20) to fail? :(

Thanks eric, that's the datasheet I am using too. The part suffix is AF but I believe the pin layout should be the same. My 78DL05AP has the same packaging as other 7805s I am using. So I believe mine are faulty. What possibly could have caused all of them (~20) to fail? :(

hi,
I dont make the pin out the same.???

Attachments

• Image1.png
    Image1.png
    30.5 KB · Views: 922
Don't assume, check the datasheet. I had a quick look at the Toshiba sheet, and it claims the legs are numbered left to right 1,3,2. Which I thought was strange for a start.

Hi, I noticed that too. But I believe it's just the numbering: 1: Input, 2: Output, 3: Common and the order is 1,3,2 so it should not be so strange. I tried various combinations just for the benefits of doubt and could not get the correct output

Last edited:
Hi, I noticed that too. But I believe it's just the numbering: 1: Input, 2: Output, 3: Common and the order is 1,3,2 so it should be the same as a normal 7805.

hi,
Try one as per that image I have just posted,, I hope you have not damaged any with a reverse voltage.

Hi Eric,

I just tried with your suggested pinout (which I believe I have tried before), and all of them produced 8.9V! I don't think a 7805 can be easily damaged by reverse voltage - I tried applying input voltage to wrong pins with a 'normal' 7805 and it still seemed to function normally once the correct voltage is applied. Not to mention that previously I only tried a few random pieces among them, and not all of the 78DL05APs. So my 78DL05APs are somehow faulty - unbelievable but unfortunately seemed true.

What could have been the reason?

Hi Eric,

I just tried with your suggested pinout (which I believe I have tried before), and all of them produced 8.9V! I don't think a 7805 can be easily damaged by reverse voltage - I tried applying input voltage to wrong pins with a 'normal' 7805 and it still seemed to function normally once the correct voltage is applied. Not to mention that previously I only tried a few random pieces among them, and not all of the 78DL05APs. So my 78DL05APs are somehow faulty - unbelievable but unfortunately seemed true.

What could have been the reason?

hi,
It depends where you got them from, they could be manufacturing rejects.??

hi,
It depends where you got them from, they could be manufacturing rejects.??

I remember I got it from a electronics hobbyist who wanted to give away some of his components for free. Some 2 years ago. Also remember that I did test a few random pieces among them when I first got them, and they appeared to be working well. Very strange...

Hi, I found a bunch of 78DL05AP voltage regulators in my junk box. I assume it has the same pinout as LM7805. However. when I applied 9V to it, all I get is 8.9V output. This is the same for all these chips. Can I assume that those chips are faulty? It's hard to believe all of them are faulty!

Hi mdanh, I don't know if you ever found and answer to this problem but I thought I would post in case others see this and are looking for a solution.

I have some of the 78DL05ap's made by toshiba and if you do not put a 100 micro farad cap on the output they will also not give you 5 volts instead they output just about the input voltage, I was told to use low ESR caps not sure if you have to as I have only used the low ESR caps.

I have some of the 78DL05ap's made by toshiba and if you do not put a 100 micro farad cap on the output they will also not give you 5 volts instead they output just about the input voltage

Beware - you need input and output decoupling caps close to the pins. I have used the 7805 type regs without decoupling caps and the parts oscillate. Electrolytics should be OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back