Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

8 pin relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwame

Hi
i have ordered an omron 8 pin relay cum basis for a project.The relay is rated at 28VDC but i do not have this voltage.I working with an input voltage of 12/24 VDC .
Will the relay with 12/24VDC without harm?
Lest i forget,the relay has only NC and NO contacts but no COMM .Is this normal and will it work?

Last edited:
Would have been easier if you gave the part number. I suggest you check the data sheet for minimum pull in voltage. You may get a 28 volt DC coil to pull in at 24 volts but not going to happen at 12 volts. When you say 8 pin I assume DPDT contacts as in the Omron MK2 series? They are 8 pin octal base. Overall if you want a relay to work at 12 VDC you buy a 12 VDC coil relay, if you want it to work at 24 VDC you buy a 24 VDC coil relay. A 28 VDC coil will not for example work at 12 VDC. Again, provide the complete Omron part number and research the data sheet for minimum pull in for the relay you have and hope it has the data.

Ron

part number

Yes
It belongs to the MK-I/-S range of omron relays and it appears it is DPDT. can I convert it into SPDT?The part number is MK3P-I,-S.
Can i possibly convert it into a SPDT ? And how?

OK, the MK series from Omron comes in the following coil voltages:

12, 24, 110/120, 220/240VAC;

12, 24, 48, 100VDC

So I guess I don't get the 28 volts you mentioned earlier?

There is also a bit of question as to the MK3P series as MK3P generally indicates a 3 pole relay and it should be a 3 pole double throw relay but those are 11 pin and not 8 pin. The Omron MK2P series are 2 pole double throw and have an 8 pin base.

Here is a link to the MK series. which I hope works.

Attached are images of the MK series MK2 and MK3 pin outs.

Can i possibly convert it into a SPDT ? And how?

Yes, sure you can. Since it is a 3 pole double throw you have 3 sets of poles you can use. You would only use a single set of contacts. You would use one common and the corresponding NO (Normally Open) and NC (Normally Closed) connections.

Note the attached from the data sheet.

Ron

Attachments

• Omron 1.gif
    Omron 1.gif
    19.3 KB · Views: 168
  • Omron 2.gif
    Omron 2.gif
    6.7 KB · Views: 211
Did you read the data sheet? The part where it mentions the Pick Up voltage minimum is 80% of the rated coil voltage? That relay will pull in at about 80% of the rated coil voltage. That would be about 19.2 volts. Hell the dropout voltage is 30% min. That relay will not work at 12 VDC with a 24 VDC coil. The best you can hope for is about a pull in at 19.2 volts and that is what the data sheet is telling you. If you wanted or needed a 12 voly coil relay you should have bought a 12 volt version of the relay.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back