Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

8ohms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Powzoom

I have an audio signal that's amplified by an op-amp. The output impedance of the op amp is around 100 ohm (is that right?) My speaker is 8ohms. How can I match this better?

You could look for a 500Ω:8Ω or maybe a 1K:8Ω impedance matching transformer -

- but don't expect too much. Opamps are not impressive speaker drivers.

I have an audio signal that's amplified by an op-amp. The output impedance of the op amp is around 100 ohm (is that right?) My speaker is 8ohms. How can I match this better?

You add a power amplifier between the opamp and the speaker, an opamp isn't suitable for feeding a speaker.

The impedance doesn't need to be matched. The amplifier needs to have a much lower output impedance than 8R which is why an op-amp isn't suitable for driving a speaker, as Nigel said.

A puny half-Watt in an 8 ohm speaker is a peak current of 250mA.
But the max output current from an opamp is only 30mA. The output power at clipping into an 8 ohm speaker is only 0.004W.

The max output current from a little LM386 power amp IC is about 375mA. Then the output power in an 8 ohm speaker at clipping is 0.5W.

Open loop. With closed loop it's virtually zero.
The op amp only has a low closed loop impedance until it's maximum current output limit is reached (generally a few 10's of milliamps) above which the closed loop feedback loses control and the output impedance becomes very high.

If he wants to tell his friends he has a .004watt amp he made himself (for 1 speaker) :D And he will never get your point AG.

And the friends will not hear it unless putting thier ear right on the speaker and being a lot younger than me.

If this is a car or home audio project and you want more than the pets to hear it. Power AMP like Nigel said/read.

If I said its output is 4mW then he might think 4 million Watts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back