A little confused with the up down counter ( CD40110BE )

Status
Not open for further replies.
thanks ron and keepitsimple, looks like this counter is a bust.
i have taken a look at chip 74hc192 from your link. looks like a more useful chip.

i am still trying to make the cd40110be work until i get a replacement, even if it starts counting from zero (up or down).
but the seven segment display says '5' at all times.

i have a tlc555 timer pulsing at pin 7 (count down). i have grounded pins 4 (toggle enable), 5 (reset), 9 (clock up). i have set pin 6 (latch enable) to the Vcc. and the remaining pins driving the anodes of the seven segment display. but the display never changes up / down. the literature on the chip is weird because they don't say anything about the functions of 'toggle enable' or 'latch enable'. i would think they should at least mention it. any ideas?

chip cd40110be:
http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet2/2/044xywd754x2o45i40loso7s8cyy.pdf

You just didn't look at the literature close enough. If you look at the TRUTH TABLE on page 3-405 you will see what "toggle enable" and "latch enable" do. It shows that if the "latch enable" is high, then the display is stable. That explains why your display is not changing. "Latch enable" must be low to show the count.

If you want the display to be stable while the counter is counting, then you keep "latch enable" high and momentarily pulse it low at the last count to display the count.

RESET is a Pulse and by it's name, Positive V to reset. It needs to be a pulse, and may have to have clean edges.

Yes you are right Crutschow. I am suprised that such important information is found so deep in the literature. thanks.

Last edited:
Yes you are right Crutschow. I am suprised that such important information is found so deep in the literature. thanks.

There's a simple explanation for that: technical writers don't think like the rest of us. They're androids from the planet Zargon.

I should know; I was a technical writer in a previous life.

Never put pin 6 on +vss but instead ground it, together with pin 8. check ur datasheet to be sure.
I used tha ic before and with success, hope uwil 2

There's a simple explanation for that: technical writers don't think like the rest of us. They're androids from the planet Zargon.

I should know; I was a technical writer in a previous life.
That explains a lot. Welcome to earth.

Unfortunately many newbies don't see to think it important to thoroughly read a data sheet (or perhaps they are intimidated by it) before they use the chip, and then don't understand why it doesn't work. Many of the problems posted on these forums are due to that omission.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…