Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A little project I wanted to complete

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaredburton

First post!! Anyway,

I recently got a TEG (Thermoelectric Generator) and wanted to use some excess heat from my fireplace or another heat source to charge an iPod, just a cool do it yourself.

I figure I will be using a jewel thief circuit to bump the voltage up (I was getting around 1.1V max from the fireplace) - and then charge a nickel metal hydride battery...which in turn would charge the ipod.

Any reccomendations or warnings from some experienced hobbyists/EEs?

I'm new to this and appreciate any assistance! Thanks guys.

How much current does it provide?

There needs to be enough power available, otherwise it will never charge the batteries.

Sigh, this is hard work.

How much current does the battery charger require?

What sort of battery does it use?

If it's a couple of NiMH cells then you can trickle charge them at low currents but it takes over half a day to charge them.

ya thats fine...i just wanted a demonstration that its possible. Any ideas on how to accomplish the trickle charging? Time isnt really an issue as much to me.

A Joule Thief circuit with a Schottky diode should be able to charge three 1.2V batteries in series, no need to limit the current, the Joule Thief will do that.

It'll probably take a few weeks to fully charge a set of 2500mAh batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back