A Q about Frequency

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pao

Hello,

Is it relatively easy to make say a digital frequency counter using an LCD, microntroller and a bunch of op amp circuits or is it gonna be a world of hurt for a newb like me. Im asking cause im just curious as to how a frequency counter work.

Clueless Pao,

A frequency counter is just a series of counters and readouts, one for each decade and an accurate time base of seconds and tenth fractions.
How difficult for you is hard to say, it depends on many factors, like upper frequency limit, sensetivety and accuracy.
For a starter take a look at this: https://www.qsl.net/dl4yhf/freq_counter/freq_counter.html

There are many frequency counter examples using PIC micro-controllers, in fact there's even one in the September 2006 edition of EPE magazine. Their spec is usually pretty similar, 0-50MHz auto-ranging - they all basically come from a VERY old MicroChip application note.

hello,
I just did a very similar project using an atmel AT89C52 microcontroller and a 2 lines LCD. it was a tachometer, don't worry its the exact same principle.

So my answer, Yes it is simple IF:
1- you are familiar with C
2- have some basic experience with uC

There is no need for op-amps unless you are going to make a project that measures frequencies on many voltages, if you measure TTL frequencies (pulses of 0 and 5v) you don't need op-amps.

Look i'll be with you from the begining to the end, specially if you use an AT89C52 or similar.

Good luck, its doable, and i'am willing to help!

Attachments

• tachomtere.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 138
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…