A simple booster/Overdrive effect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crevil

Hey Everyone

I have made this curcuit and would like somebody to take a look at it, telling me if everything seems right.

It is an effect stompbox for a guitar, one Overdrive/Fuzz and one Simple Booster.
At the end a simple tonecontrol and a master volume control.
The values of the tonecontrol Caps and Resistors are not defined, because I have not desided how the Tone sound is going to be.

Well, what I would like is you to see if there is any errors of mistakes in the schematic.

Thanks

Attachments

• dB Control.PNG
    28.4 KB · Views: 277
Nigel Goodwin said:
Well Q1 and Q2 won't work, they don't have any base bias.

Well, they will work, not making any clean sound, but destroying the waves from the guitar. This is the whole idea of this part, just destroying.

Can't really see what you want to say with this reply, I'm not interestet in the Tube Screamer, I'm intrestet in some replys regarding my post, my circuit

Crevil said:
Well, they will work, not making any clean sound, but destroying the waves from the guitar. This is the whole idea of this part, just destroying.

Feel free to make it like that then,but it will sound crap, if it works at all? - the required distortion is caused by overdriving the amplifier, not by leaving out essential components.

Crevil said:
Can't really see what you want to say with this reply, I'm not interestet in the Tube Screamer, I'm intrestet in some replys regarding my post, my circuit
He is telling you can build a similar circuit using an OPAMP like 741.
By using resistor /capacitor network circuit(tone control/Bass/Treble/Mid/boost etc..)feeding to the OP AMP.So no need transistors.

Gayan Soyza said:
He is telling you can build a similar circuit using an OPAMP like 741.
By using resistor /capacitor network circuit(tone control/Bass/Treble/Mid/boost etc..)feeding to the OP AMP.So no need transistors.

Oh, ok.. Well, I must say that i have been thinking of this solution, but I really like the sound of the 2N5088 or actually I'm planning to use the 2N5089, they don't use that much current.

Regarding Nigel Goodwin, I'm pretty sure they will work, I have made some research and found a simulare circuit, with a little more to it, it's the Fozz Fuzz-Wah, **broken link removed**, as you can se the basics of it's overdrive part is the same.

Speaking of overdrive stopm boxes, does anyone here know exactly what Eddie VanHalen uses to get the effect of his lead in most of their songs... especially the song named "Ain't Talkin 'Bout Love". And a ver similar effect is also used by Metallica. I know the guitar model and pick-ups has a great deal to achieving that piercing mid-range, metal sound but they must be using some specific box that gives their axes that well overdriven but smooth texture sound.

Crevil said:
Regarding Nigel Goodwin, I'm pretty sure they will work, I have made some research and found a simulare circuit, with a little more to it, it's the Fozz Fuzz-Wah, **broken link removed**, as you can se the basics of it's overdrive part is the same.

The circuit in that link has all the transistors correctly biased, your one has no bias at all on the first two transistors - have you ever seen a circuit that looks anything like your one?, I doubt it very much (at least not a circuit that worked!).

A lot of it though (probably most?) is down to their technique - there's a never ending stream of 'wannabe' guitarists trying to emulate the sound of their heros, and spending LOT'S of money failing - when it's simply they aren't a good enough guitarist!.

EVH gets his unique ''brown sound'' by feeding a mid 60's Marshall Super Lead Plexi valve amplifier with mains power through a variac to reduce the AC voltage to about 90VAC.
Ain't Talkin' 'bout Love also featured an Echoplex tape echo unit an MXR Phase 90 and an MXR Flanger. For solos he used either his guitar volume control or an MXR Equalizer.
One of my favorite guitarists and that song is very ''learn-able'' for any guitarist at intermediate level.
There are quite a few amp/effect modeling units on the market that do a great job of copying classic guitar tones. Line 6 products are one of my faves.

I'd also consider the **broken link removed**, a simple to build tube based od. Hv design, without the need of hv xfrmrs...

I will grant you that is true, but I will also suggest that many guitar heros began in a similar fashion, attempting to emulate their heros... We all got to start somewhere. Biggest thing is to know where you're at... as Dirty Harry said, "A man's got to know his limitations."

Last edited:
I have marked the base bias current for every transistor on the linked circuit. Not a single transistor has no base bias current like Q1 and Q2 in XCrevil's circuit.

Transistors don't work without base bias current.

Attachments

• Foxx Fuzz-wah.PNG
    32.5 KB · Views: 216
audioguru said:
I have marked the base bias current for every transistor on the linked circuit. Not a single transistor has no base bias current like Q1 and Q2 in XCrevil's circuit.

Transistors don't work without base bias current.

Hmm... Your actually right, didn't see the circuit that way, hmm, guess I'm going back to the drawing table

Well, thanks for the replyes.

Speaking of Van Halen see this link, here you can see his Live setup: **broken link removed**

But like the others it's more the person behind the guitar than the effects in front of him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…