Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

About the 7 Segment Display

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, just wanted to know if there was a chip or something which would allow me to press a key to write a certain letter on the seven-segment display. I already know about a binary decoder which converts binary to decimal and then on to the seven-segment display (I believe this is the 4026).

I realise that that you would need 26 input pins for each letter, and think it is highly improbable, but if you know of such a thing, a reply would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

A 7 segment display will only show some of the letters, as it was designed to show just 0 - 9.

Most keyboards are scanned so that you need far fewer connections than one per key.

It all ends up pointing to using a microcontroller.

If you are desperate (or masochistic), you could do what you are asking with a huge diode array, and no chips at all. Each pushbutton would connect from +5V to the anodes of up to 7 diodes each. The cathodes of each diode would lead through a resistor to the anode of each segment. The cathodes of each segment would connect to ground. A "letter" would light when you press the button.

As Diver300 mentioned, you can't really do a full alphabet with only seven segments - at least not without some compromises. Like this:

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
There are these types of displays: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9934 which will display characters. Note that there is an I2C driver boad below on the page.

Duffy got a bit carried away, but usually seven segment displays can disply 0-9 and A-F understandably.

TI and analog devices makes a matrix keyboard decoder chip.

So, you'll need a micro to "glue" these devices together.

you can explain a bit about the application you need implement it. do you want to use some thing like a keyboard and display a number? how many 7 segments? if you press the 2nd key of a different number what would happen? there is a long way you can make it to work with counters...every particular keys would generate a set of pulses that would display a certain character on the 7segment.

Diver, thanks, I guess this won't work then...
Duffy, Thanks for the diagram, I guess some of the compromises won't work- it was very useful
KeepItSimpleStupid, thanks but I guess going to that sort of length is not worth the effort, however I appreciate the reply
mbarazeen, thanks, but I guess that this project is not going to work without some SERIOUS effort, and not worth it.

Thanks to all- I really do appreciate the effort :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back