ABY Switchbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samuelm

hey all
Im a guitarist wanting to create an A\B switchbox, with one input jack and a footswitch button switching between two outputs. the thing is, i also want to have 2 led's and switch between them as i switch the 2 outputs. everywhere i read i seem to be told i will need a 3dpdt switch to do this, but i do not see why. as far as i can tell a dptd switch should suffice like so... (diagram)

in the diagram the rectangular block represents the dpdt switch
the two round things on the right are the (mono) ouput jacks and the one on the left is the (mono) input jack. the sleeves of the jacks are connected with the tip (hot) running through the switch so when the button is pressed the tip from the input is then connected to either of the tips of the outputs.

again the led's also have a common lead to their power source and only one lead is switched between them.

is this not a valid circuit???

also as this is an audio application is there and way to reduce a possible pop from the switch... i have heard that a 1meg ohm resistor connecting the tip and sleeve of one or all of the jacks may reduce or remove any harsh pops.

Attachments

• aby.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 313

My advise to you. Redraw your circuit with the actual DPDT switch contacts shown and not as a black box. Anyone reading your diagram doesnt know what the contact arrangement is in your switch so we cant say if it will work or not. Also, when you redraw your circuit, place resistors in series with your LED's those will be needed unless you plan on buying special LEDS with them already built in (not likely).

If your LED battery is 12V The resistors should = 1k Ohms
If your LED battery is 9V The resistors should = 750 Ohms
If your LED battery is 5V The resistors should = 330 Ohms

Mark your battery voltage as well. It will be much easier for people to comment if your circuit is clear and shows everything. You cannot have too much detail for this kind of thing.

here is a much nicer diagram illustrating the electrical components better. hope this assists.
and my question remains...
is this valid?? clearly the LED's should work but will the audio switch across properly if they have one common and one switched lead.

Attachments

• aby2.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 288

Looks just fine to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…