Ac amp tp dc amp

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwame

Hi folks
i have just taken delivery of my new linear actuator.The linear actuator is rated at 0.8-6AMPS (max load).Unfortunatley,the DPDT rocker switch attached to is 6AMP 250 VAC.Undoubtedly, the amps will reduce when it is used with 12V Dc .What will be the amps if i use it for the 12VDC linear actuator.
At half load ,does the current proportionally reduce to 3AMP?

NB.CAPTION: 'AC AMP TO DC AMP'.

Last edited:
Sounds like apples and oranges. OK, you have a 12 VDC linear actuator and depending on load it will draw between 0.8 and 6 amps DC. As to the switch, was the switch inclusive with the actuator or was the switch something purchased alone? Since you say rocker switch I assume a DPDT rocker switch to extend or retract the actuator? Would that be right?

There is no set rule as to switch ratings for AC or DC current. The switch contacts determine what the AC or DC load is that the switch can safely switch. If the switch makes no mention of DC current then it would likely be unwise to use it for a DC application in this case. Unless, the switch was sold with the actuator inclusive and designed for use with it.

That Is My Take
Ron

How could the switch destroy the actuator?

The risk is the other way around. If the switch contacts get burned (which is what happens when its maximum current rating is exceeded), they will either fuse closed (unlikely but possible), or go high-resistance or open (more likely). Neither of which will destroy the motor, unless you leave it unattended and this somehow forces the motor on when it shouldn't be.

The switch was supplied with the actuator for reversing and extending actuator.

If the switch was supplied with the actuator than don't worry about it. Since it was supplied as part of it is obviously designed for use with the actuator.

Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…