Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AC Power Relay

Status
Not open for further replies.

StudentSA

Good Day,

Ive used many low voltage DC relays and have grown accoustom to the "click" on and "click" off.

Ive recently been experimenting with a Power Relay that can be driven AC or DC and when using it from the AC mains it switches on and "Buzzez", is this normal and is there away to avoid the Buzz? surely the buzzing is not good for the contacts?

Thanks,
StudentSA

Is it just making a slight acoustic noise, or is it buzzing so much that the contacts are actually making and breaking?

Have you got any data on the relay or even a photo, as no it should not buzz.

Sounds to me you have a DC relay working on AC and have confused the relay data for the contact ratings as the coil ratings.

Pete.

It is schrack Power Relay, but an old one... RN 600004, I have looked for the datasheet with no luck. It has a coil of 2.5kOhms marked on the cover.

Good Day,

Ive used many low voltage DC relays and have grown accoustom to the "click" on and "click" off.

Ive recently been experimenting with a Power Relay that can be driven AC or DC and when using it from the AC mains it switches on and "Buzzez", is this normal and is there away to avoid the Buzz? surely the buzzing is not good for the contacts?

Thanks,
StudentSA

I replied to the other thread you started on this. Can you describe the relay in some detail. Look at the relays in this link. Does it resemble any of those case designs? Looking through the data sheets The coils with the higher resistances have higher coil voltages. In your last thread (other thread) you mentioned I believe the relay had a 2.5 K Ω coil?

You don't mention but I assume you are applying 220 VAC? Could this relay have a DC coil? Why do you think it is an AC coil relay? I agree with SABorn on that note.

Anyway, browse the link and note the case designs.

Ron

Last edited:
Hey, Looks like the first one, in the sense that it has the same shape and circular pin arrangement.
Um it comes out a custom System designed along time ago that had a 220V 50Hz AC and 12V DC power supply.

I tried the relay coil with the 12V but the contacts did not move. Thus I assumed it must be a AC trigged relay.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back