AC voltage reducer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in need for a 110.120V reducer schematic. I have several heating pad that I need to reduce current by 50%. Does anybody know of any?

Watts? You need to call out the power consumed by the heating pads, generally expressed in watts. If the normal operating voltage is 120 VAC and you want to run them at a lower voltage a simple lamp dimmer will work as long as the dimmer can handle the power required.

Ron

Yeah, if you aren't choosey just place a diode in the line. That should reduce the power by about 50%.

Ron

Back during the '1980s energy crisis they used to sell coin-shaped buttons that you placed in a light socket, under the bulb, to "cut power consumption in half !!!". Just a diode.

Ken

pfc= power factor correction

In other words, they are intended to correct they phase difference between voltage and current, so the power read is accurate. They can also be used to "fool" the power meter according to claims.

John

They work in industries that have large, varying, inductive loads, because the power companies bill them partially based on power factor. Homes' inductive loads (freezers, refrigerators, washers, dryers, air compressors...) are relatively small and on/off, and you are not billed for power factor. So, even if the device does correct the power factor, the meters don't read it, power company doesn't care, and don't affect your bill. So basically a scam.

Ken

for home use a pfc is probably a scam, but what it implies is correct. Just probably isn't worth it. I'd throw a Kill-a-watt on a fridge to see what it thinks your energy saving might be.

We had one at work: at least 32 five HP motors that were on at random times and possibly on all at once and a few more motors that were either on all the time or eratic.

in-line like in in-line fuseholder. That is inserted in one wire. Panel mount is panel mount fuseholder. Mounts on a panel.

In this thread, there is a reference to "in the line" which means in series with the Line, L or L1 terminal and the load. Cut the HOT lead and insert the device.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…