Adjusting a negative voltage with a PIC

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanctuj

I am using a graphic LCD that requires a negative voltage (approx. -10V) for the contrast control. I would like to be able to adjust it with a digital pot connected to a PIC, however, the digital pots that I have found will not work with the negative voltages. Anyone know of a way I can accomplish this?

Also, is there a way to monitor a negative voltage with the PICs ADC?

Thanks

Found this link the other day, might help:

https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2006/05/2001SEP03_AMD_MSD_AN2060PDF.pdf

Edit more info: I have not worked with digital pots much, so won't comment. But to shift a negative voltage up to where you can measure it, you could just use a resistor pullup between the ADC reference voltage and a zener diode's cathode. Connect the anode to the negative voltage to be measured. Whatever voltage you measure at the cathode is a zener voltage above the negative voltage.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. That pdf has what I am looking for.

Also, I will try the zener diode idea for measuring the negative voltage.

Figure 1 worked very good for my smaller 2x20 lcd, which only needed around -3v ... but my large 2x40 "cold weather" lcd needed -8v, which the charge pump couldn't deliver.

I found the LM2682 to be a great solution:

**broken link removed**

It's a negative voltage doubler, taking your +5v and turning it into -10v ... nice and small, and works well with three inexpensive ceramic caps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…