Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Adsl modems & routers + networking issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

sram

Hi, one of my friends was asking me something, and i'm not that knowledgable in networking to answer his question, so I pass this question to you guys.

Is there anything I can do while having an adsl modem that is connected to a router that I can't do with a router that has an integrated adsl modem in it?

He was talking about ips and them being static or dynamic I think. He told me this has to do with IIS (Internet Information services) that he wants to use.

Sorry for not being clear, but that's all I have to say.

Any help would be appreciated.

Adsl

What is the difference between the two cases you just asked? You mean an ADSL modem connected to a router vs an integrated ADSL modem/router?

There's really no difference that Ive noticed, except for configurability options. Maybe if youre using an old modem vs. new integrated or vice versa then there would be a difference but other than that it should be the same.

I got this new info from him:

He has a website in his pc that he wants people to access by entering his ip address into their browser. I think that's what IIS is about. Of course people will not be able to access his site unless he is online. What worries is that if he uses an integrated wireless router his main pc will be given a network ip and people will no longer be able to access his site. Does this make any sense?

Thanks

What you have to do is 'port forward' port 80. This makes any incoming request on port 80 (the website or HTTP port) go to whatever ip you specify. There should be an option for this in the modem/router. This will allow you to host a site that is behind a router

Does he have a static IP to his router WAN side? If not he will need to get with dynamicDNS and they will do it for him. Otherwise, he will have to contact the people with the new IP of his web server as it changes. And a lot of providers look for web server on non-dynamic connections. Did I mention I run US Internet Technoligies?

Basically, he needs a static IP or dynamic dns services. That will keep his router on one IP. Then static map the web server machine on the lan side, like 192.168.0.2. Go in the router, assuming you have the password, and it will port forward. Forward port 80 (like mentioned) to that IP; the 192 one. You mentioned IIS, make sure this machine has the current microsoft updates or he is just asking for trouble.

Also Adsl is slower on uploads (outbound), so the people that hit his server will hurt his DSL speed, it is fast IO to him, not from him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back