Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Advice Needed - Real Time Tracking Pipe Dream

Status
Not open for further replies.

azecraze

Ok, I'm new here and this is my first post......

I have a project I am still in the planning stages of and need advice on a certain aspect of it.

The project involves the use of servos/steppers to control spotlights in a theatre environment.
I currently using "Intelligent" moving lights but I want to break out from using them due to a number of reasons and make something up that works the way I want it.

Anyways, I am thinking of having some sort of auto tracking device on a performer so that the spotlight will follow them..... the servo/stepper stuff I can handle ok, but I need advice on what type of tracking device would be best to use ( if any at all!)

So the performer has a little clip on badge with a xmitter... and I have a RX on the spotlight... then the spotlight will just track the performer

The working range would be approx 10m with a maximum of about 20m .... would need to be NON line of sight capable, else the performer moving may disrupt it.

So I am thinking along the lines of IR, Laser, RFID or whatever.

Any thoughts on this?

Well, IR and laser are both out right off the bat, since you want non-line-of-sight. That leaves RF and ultrasound. Ultrasound would have to be fairly beefy to make it 10-20 metres and still be reliable, and I understand that RF is a little difficult to get a good positional lock on in such a small area. RadioRon would be the guy for that question, though.

I think similar systems have been explored on this forum in the past. Try the advanced search function; you might find something useful.

Good luck,

Torben

How about using floor mat switches. Light can be set to track based on which switch was last depressed. Only flaw is if someone steps over switch.

Google "video camera tracking". Perhaps the lights could de servo'ed to the camera.

Thankyou for all your replies....

After taking the advice of "Roff" I came across some little hacks at instructables.com that may be the best thing.....

Floor mats are definitely out...

Thanks all...

Thermal imaging infrared camera connected to PC which would then analyze received images and give commands to servos to position the spotlight. But I don't know if such a system is available somewhere and it will not work if person goes behind an object.

Thankyou for all your replies....

Here's one more: How about reflecting the spot's own light back to a guidance detector made of a solar panel, photo-transistor or photo-resistor array? Since the spot-lit performer would be the most brightly lit object, feeding back some of the light should not be a big problem.

Just a thought.

Radio is probably best left alone.
With only a single transmitter (on the badge/clip) and a single receiver on the lamp you could only narrow the position down to a radius determined by the signal strength. You could argue that the lamp will be pointing at the stage limiting this to a field of view of 180 degrees but without at least another receiver in a different location you are stuffed.

Most radio modules have an RSSI (received signal strength indicator) output which could be used - one tx on clip/badge and two rx (one on either side of the stage) - from the RSSI of each of the two rx you could roughly work out whereabouts on the stage the tx is. you could add a third rx to the lamp to get distance from the lamp.

This would work and should be cheap.

One thing you should note is that if you use a transmitter in the ISM band you are risking members of the audience changing the lamp position with their car keys or whatever ;-)

S

Thermal imaging infrared camera connected to PC which would then analyze received images and give commands to servos to position the spotlight. But I don't know if such a system is available somewhere and it will not work if person goes behind an object.

It might also have problems in a stage environment, where the lights often cause temperatures on stage to be much higher than you might expect.

Torben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back