Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Advice needed - regarding use of optical encoder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denniswho

Hi... I need to replace an obsolete shaft actuated mechanical counter on a piece of machinery. I wanted to do this electronically and was actually thinking about building some sort of counter/sensor setup. Thanks to E-Bay, I was able to purchase a few goodies to get me started. I obtained an Eaton/Durant model #5781-0 Digital Electronic Counter/Display Module that I'm trying to interface with an Oak-Grigsby #96Q100 Optical Encoder Unit. Both items are dual quadrature and will count pulses up and down to display the relative position of a threaded adjustment shaft. The encoder unit has integral/sealed LEDS and Schmidt trigger photo-transistors with resolution of 100 pulses per revolution and good for up to 3000 RPM's. However, the threaded shaft will only be hand cranked and the return to a specific number readout and memory will enable repeatability of precise manual position settings. The display unit has a +15 VDC output terminal referenced to a GND terminal. This is normally used to directly power a 15 volt optical encoder unit. The encoder I have is rated at +5 volts MAX. Therein lies the problem! I fabricated a simple 7805 regulator circuit to satisfy my 5 volt encoder requirement. I then used each A & B encoder output lead at a pulsing 1.2 to 5 Volts to switch the +15 volts through a 2N2222 NPN General Purpose Transistor in a non-inverted fashion for input to my display A & B input terminals. This circuit doesn't seem to function properly. Instead of swinging from 0 to +15 volts - My circuit is swinging from +5 to +14 volts. So-far, the display isn't counting or registering any pulses. The transistor is biased with a 4.7K resistor. A load resistor of 4.7K is used on the collector as well. AFTER A RATHER LONG-WINDED explanation, I was wondering if any of you "experts" can suggest an alternative method for adapting these components to each other. After years of careful and diligent non-preparedness, I am about as non-expert as one can be. I read and attempt to learn as I go and that ususally works in most situations. However, I am steadily loosing self-confidence and the need for outside intervention is imperative. Please help.

I suggest you post a circuit, I (and I suspect others) don't have the time to wade through your description and understand it to the point where we can give advice.

A picture is worth a 1000 words. It can be simply a hand drawn scanned one if you don't want to draw it in PowerPoint or other drawing package.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back