Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Advice on how I can achieve this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

benb7760

I intend to make a sensor to detect how fast a turntable is spinning and in which direction.

I think what I want is two outputs, one for backwards and one for forwards, and their voltage should vary depending on how fast it is spinning in that direction.

Anybody know how I can achieve this?

Thanks, Ben

I would use an optical sensor. Place a card on the turntable that has white and black segments printed on it. The sensor will output a frequency that is a function of the turntable speed and the number of white segments.

You would need to illuminate with a DC light, eg a LED, not by an AC light.

For the direction, I would print a long black segment followed by a short black segment spaced a couple of degrees apart with a second sensor viewing them. The direction of rotation can be determined by whether the short or long pulse comes first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back