Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Advice on MC for project

Status
Not open for further replies.

werkkrew

I am looking for help choosing the appropriate mc to use for a project I am involved in at Drexel University.

I have a lot of experience using Motorola 68HC11/12 based boards so ideally id like to use something based on that.

Requirements:

Small
Ability to support two serial ports, one for input, one for output
Non-voilitle memory

Basically, the project is a unit to interface with a programmable engine control unit, whereby it will accept fuel maps through the input com port and store them in memory.

There will be a switch which the user can use to choose one of 4 pre-loaded fuel maps and when chosen, the unit will send that map to the ecu via the output com port.

Basically, at the time of turning the unit on, the user selects a memory bank, presses a button and it sends the data to the ecu.

It sounds simple enough, but I am having trouble selecting right mc with the right feature set.

Any help is appreciated.

Go to www.freescale.com and find the part selector for the 68HC11s. Motorola changed its microcontroller division to Freescale Semiconductor to confuse people - I guess having one of the best known names in embedded systems made buisness a bit too easy and they wanted to go for something a bit more obscure. :wink:

For the preliminary stuff im actually looking for an entire solution, not just the mc itself, something similar to the handyboard with less robotics focus and more of the features I require.

After I get the programming taken care of and I can prove it works, then I will build a board from scratch.

Any recommendations of out of the box programmable solutions?

Have you looked at some of the development boards out there? Here's one using a Motorola 9S12DP256 with RS-232 transceivers on both SPI serial channels -- **broken link removed**

Good luck with your project... Regards, Mike - K8LH

bmcculla said:
Go to www.freescale.com and find the part selector for the 68HC11s. Motorola changed its microcontroller division to Freescale Semiconductor to confuse people - I guess having one of the best known names in embedded systems made buisness a bit too easy and they wanted to go for something a bit more obscure. :wink:

Actually, they sold the division if I recall correctly. Not Motorola anymore.

Yeah, a development board is more what im looking for. Any other boards you know of that might be suited to my task?

I know all about the megasquirt.

We arent trying to make an entire ECU, just an interface to store settings on, to eliminate the need for a laptop when swtiching between different settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back