Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ADXL103 data sheet confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikebits

With all the talk about accelerometers lately, I decided to read up on these elusive little parts. Heck with 8 pins, how complicated can they be?

Well, I am confronted with a bit of (no scratch the bit as the output is analog) confusion.

In the ADXL data sheet https://www.electro-tech-online.com/custompdfs/2008/08/ADXL103_203-1.pdf

I get that a squarewave is generated in relation to G and tilt, so the output must be filtered so that a sinusoid waveform is made. What I am not clear about, is this output constant or more like an impulse response.

In an appnote I found, it was shown that the part could be used as a tilt detector. Is that to say that as long as the part is in a tilted angle a proportional output sine will be produced?

I also could not seem to figure out how to come up with any interface as I do not know how one converts millivolts/G to tilt. If I tilt the part say x deg, how do I know sine amplitude out.

Sorry, this data sheet eludes me. Thanks for any insight...

Last edited:
Mike, you are not looking for a sinusoid on the output. With constant acceleration, the output is a DC voltage. The capacitor sets the bandwidth of the response to change in acceleration. If you had a step in acceleration, the output voltage would be a step. The cap will set the risetime of that step. The purpose is to filter out unwanted acceleration "noise", to eliminate aliasing due to downstream A/D sampling rate, and maybe to filter out residual higher frequency crap which remains on the internal demodulator output.
Disclaimer: I haven't used this part. I just read the datasheet, plus I am an old retired EE with lots of experience.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Thanks Ron, I kinda thought that may be the case but was just not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back