Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Air ionizer power supply for cleaning Photography equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

djolicoeur

Hello, I have a very small knowledge of electronics. I have built a couple of simple circuits over the years with help using the 555 chip and relays. I am a machinist, and a hobby of large format photography.

I am looking to build an air blow gun Ionizer for blowing off film holders and the camera equipment. Dust is a major problem, worse in the winter months. Can any body help me design a power supply that will ionize the air coming off from a blow nozzle. The nozzle would be hooked to a regular compressor nozzle.This would be used as a venturi to suck in the the surrounding air and blowing it across an ionizer to clean film and film holders, along with other photography equipment. There are commercially available ones at a very high price for my hobby. I am looking at a 5kVrms, at 5 milliampere max power supply, 115V. I am not sure if this breaks any patent laws or not if I am modeling this after a commercially available unit. I am not looking to sell or profit from this, other than too gain more knowledge, and clean negatives. The following link similar to what I have in mind of building. I am just not sure of the electronics?

**broken link removed**
Regards,
Dan

Hi,
I built this ionizer years ago. It is designed for 230V AC, you need to increase number of stages of Cokroft-Walton ladder to get proper ionizing voltage at 115V AC. Each stage simply works as voltage doubler which doubles the magnitude of voltage after every stage. My circuit uses 30 stage ladder.

Code:
Parts List
-----------

RESISTORS: (All resistors are ¼W, 5% carbon, unless stated)
R1 = 680k
R2 = 220k
R3 - R7 = 2M7 / ½W

CAPACITORS:
C1 - C30 = 10nf / 630V Polyester
C31 = 10nf / 100V Polyester

SEMICONDUCTORS:
D1 - D30 = 1N4007

MISCELLANEOUS:
N1 & N2 = Neon Lamps with holder.

Attachments

• ionizer.jpg
    ionizer.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 1,432
kinjalgp, Thank you very much. I may have some more questions for you in the future if you do not mind.
Very much appreciated!
Dan

Be very careful about how much ionized air you pump into a camera body or one of the high-end lenses. Modern bodies and lenses have electronic equipment in them, and it can be damaged or destroyed by a high charge. Make sure you check into this before you use the device on one of these components.

Thanks for the warning, but there are no electronics in a large format camera. Nothing but, wood, a little steel, bellows, and a lot of money :wink:

Hello, I have a few questions if I may? 1.) Am I correct in assuming that by using a 60 stage ladder that will double the output as though I where using 230V AC? 2.) I have seen several of these on internet sites as kits. From my understanding they produce negative Ions. If you change the diode around it will produce positive. What do I need to dissipate dust from plastic film holders and Mylar film base itself; positive, negative or both? 3.) If I need an equal amount of ions what would I do? 4.) The other examples of a Cockfroft-Walton ladder Show a “pin farm” or multiple pins for the output. Would just one pin work in the air stream?

Any input would be greatly appreciated thanks for your help so far.
Dan

djolicoeur said:
Hello, I have a few questions if I may? 1.) Am I correct in assuming that by using a 60 stage ladder that will double the output as though I where using 230V AC? 2.) I have seen several of these on internet sites as kits. From my understanding they produce negative Ions. If you change the diode around it will produce positive. What do I need to dissipate dust from plastic film holders and Mylar film base itself; positive, negative or both? 3.) If I need an equal amount of ions what would I do? 4.) The other examples of a Cockfroft-Walton ladder Show a “pin farm” or multiple pins for the output. Would just one pin work in the air stream?

-> A 60 stage ladder will work for 115V AC.
-> Reversing the diode polarity will produce positive ions.
-> I guess if you produce equal amount of ions using two different circuits, it would be of no help in dust removal because all the ions will re-combine and form stable neutral charges. And for dust removal you need only negative ions which will cling themselves to positively charged dust particles to form a heavy neutral charge and settle down.
-> One pin can work but using more pins will effeciently give out more ions in the air.

Found this site:

**broken link removed**

Hope it helps some...

Thanks again everybody! My questions have been answered and this should be a fairly simple project for me to undertake. Again thank you for sharing your knowledge and expertise to people like me that are more mechinical than electrical, some of you are fortunate enough to know both!
Thanks again,
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back