Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Altera and SOPC

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrownOut

Banned
Hello again, I'm using System On A Programmaboe Chip to build my system on an Alteria FPGA. After generating the system, I understand from Altera that I next need to hand generate a block level design that incorporates the system or else write a top level HDL file. Someone please tell me that is a joke! I can hardly believe I can generate an entire system with the tool, but not the top level entity.

I joined the EDA forum for this issue, but can't activate my account ( not this site ). So much for that baloney.

After two days of searching, I've found the answer:

1. In the Quartus II software, on the File menu click New.
2. Select Block Diagram/Schematic File and click OK. A blank .bdf, Block1.bdf,
opens.
3. On the File menu click Save As. In the Save As dialog window, click Save.
1 The Quartus II software automatically sets the .bdf file name to your project
name.
4. Double-click in the blank .bdf, point to Insert and click Symbol to open the Symbol
dialog box.
5. Expand Project, under Libraries select sopc_top, click OK.
6. Position the SOPC Builder system component outline in the <project>.bdf and
left-click.
7. Right-click on the SOPC Builder system component and click Generate Pins for
Symbol Ports, to automatically add pins and nets to the schematic symbol.
8. Click File-Save
9. On the Project Menu, click Set as Top-Level Entity.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back