AM receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

raj_404

hey guys

I am building am AM receiver for my final project in uni....can any of u guys help me out wid any am receiver that i can build....say for eg if u have any schematic or circuit diagrams pliz feel free to share...cheers

bro m kinda lookin for a detailed circuit somefin presentble wid more capacitors and transistors....i want a circuit wea i can modify it a bit so dat i cannot be acused of plagiarism...so do u think u can help

raj_404 said:
bro m kinda lookin for a detailed circuit somefin presentble wid more capacitors and transistors....i want a circuit wea i can modify it a bit so dat i cannot be acused of plagiarism...so do u think u can help

Maybe your final project should be fixing your keyboard. I think it's broken.

Torben

Thanks

Torben said:
Maybe your final project should be fixing your keyboard. I think it's broken.

Torben

Dude m not dat gud at electronics but still m trying ma best to finish it jus needed some help didnt know asking help on this forum was joke for some people
but thanks to some who showed some initiative....

raj_404 said:
Dude m not dat gud at electronics but still m trying ma best to finish it jus needed some help didnt know asking help on this forum was joke for some people

You would do far better by attempting to write in English, instead of your garbled txtspeak - where no one takes you seriously.
English may not be your first language, but I would have thought that would make you more precise about your typing?.

Have you asked your teacher about your project?, certainly I wouldn't consider an AM radio a suitable final project! (first year perhaps). You might also consider that it's YOU who is supposed to design and build your project, and not cheat by asking others to do it for you.

Put some effort into your posts and you might see some effort in the replies. Your vague question was answered in both my posts, sorry you didn't like the answer. You want to copy someone else's work because you're out of time and you apparently don't have the skill necessary to complete it yourself. What happens when your finished school? You may be able to fool your professor but how long do you expect to fool your employer?
There are 1000's of AM radio schematics on the net, some of our members can whip them up from memory.

PS that Norcal 2030 looks like an awesome radio, your prof would be impressed; too bad you couldn't explain its operation.

Last edited:
raj_404 said:

The joke isn't in the asking for help.

Someone coming on a public forum and asking to steal a design and change just enough of it not to get caught--and then talking about "initiative"--is kind of funny, though.

If you want to build an AM receiver people here will gladly help you with problems you're having in your design and you can learn something in the process. If you want to steal one and fake having earned your grade, then not so much.

Torben

A high goal is OK for anyone but trying to bite more that what one can chew, lands a person in trouble. Generally the professor / Lecturer / Teacher knows caliber of his / her students. If ones turns Superman over night , event the professor can know that he grabbed it. and in a discussion he looses the battle.

If I were to be in that position I would take up only to what I can handle.

I was puzzled about why someone whose first language is not English would write in the idiom we see from the op. Isn't it just as hard to translate to English as it is to translate to this stuff. Then I realized, "hey, he's probably using an online translator and erroneously chose one that converts to ebonics". So to test the theory, I found one that goes from English to ebonics and translated your post Torben. Here is the result:

The joke ain't in da asking fo' he`p.

Someone comin on uh public forum an' askin ta jack uh design an' change just enuff o' it not ta git caught--and then jivin' about "initiative"--is kind o' funny, tho.

If ya wants ta build an AM receiver peeps here will gladly he`p ya wiff problems you havin' in yo' design an' ya can learn sumfin in da process. If ya wants ta jack one an' fake havin' earned yo' grade, then not so much.
an dat boil on mah ass

Ron, I wish I had a copy I could post. The first computer-generated ebonics translation I ever saw was back around 1990, and it was a Smith chart. Really funny at the time.

Roff said:
Ron, I wish I had a copy I could post. The first computer-generated ebonics translation I ever saw was back around 1990, and it was a Smith chart. Really funny at the time.

It just seemed too funny not to post, but I hope the op doesn't take this as an insult as this is not my intention, just a friendly aside.

As for AM receivers, I would prefer to see what the op is already working on and offer suggestions for improvement rather than simply point to another schematic somewhere. He mentioned that he is working on one, so let's see it.

I'm sure that Blueroomelectronics' post was tongue-in-cheek, but seriously, that diagram would be a good starting point for explaining why and how AM receivers evolved over the years. Of course that might take many posts, but how educational it could be!

I'd like to see what he's got so far as well, but the whole thing about just wanting something where he can change a few things so he can't be accused of plagiarism didn't make me hopeful.

I like the idea of starting from the extreme basic schematic that Bill posted--I made one of those with a Radio Shack 30-in-1 kit a friend found at the Salvation Army last year and it actually worked--and then progressing through its shortcomings and various ways it's been improved over the years to what we might find now.

I like your ebonics translation. I couldn't decide if the original post sounded like that or something like Cockney.

Torben

blueroomelectronics said:
My first AM radio was a crystal radio. Worked great and I could pick up CHUM AM in Toronto just fine!
Yours must have been better than mine. I could never get CHUM.

Maybe it was because I was in California?

He may have been nearer to the transmitter than you, even then there are the oddities of medium wave transmision which can make the signal strength stronger 200 miles away than 50 miles away.

Hero999 said:
He may have been nearer to the transmitter than you, even then there are the oddities of medium wave transmision which can make the signal strength stronger 200 miles away than 50 miles away.
I grew up in central California. I built several crystal sets, but none were very sophisticated, and I was lucky to be able to get the 2 or 3 local stations.
I had this wonderful (at the time) book written circa 1920 by Hugo Gernsback. It had plans for several radios, including the original oatmeal box crystal set (at least that's what I remember). I built one, and remember hunting all over town for AWG22 double-cotton-covered wire (I didn't understand insulation). I finally found some at an electric motor rewinding shop. This was about the time of the invention of the superheterodyne receiver, but the most complicated design in the book was for a 4 (or maybe 3, I can't remember) stage TRF receiver. It had designs for various detectors, including one which consisted of a little J-hook of Wollaston wire contacting some nitric acid, and one or more coherers. I can't remember the name of the book, but I wish I still had it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…