Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

amplification dependency on supply voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Othello

I have a power amp mono block which calls for a 60V supply voltage.
I don't have that available and run it on roughly half that supply voltage.

I don't need much amplification to start with and wouldn't mind running the amp always like this but I wonder how the specs change with a change in supply voltage. I am thinking that as long as all the biasing circuitry is happy all that would change is that the amp would start to clip earlier.

But I wonder and wanted the opinion of experienced folks.

Uwe

As you said as long as the biasing circuit is happy you should be fine, but as you said it'll clip at a lower 'volume' level. One of the benefits of this is the circuit should really last longer as you're barelly loading it compared to what it's capable of.

If you cut the supply voltage in half then its max output power will be about one-quarter.

With a 60V supply, its full output into 8 ohms is probably 47W. With a 30V supply, its full output into 8 ohms is probably only 11W.

It depends on the design whether the biasing will change. It might have crossover distortion when it has only a 30V supply.

What do you mean by crossover distortion?

To clarify, this is a monoblock, to be part of a bi- or tri-amp system.

Uwe

Google has many articles about crossover distortion that is caused when push-pull output transistors do not have enough bias voltage. There is a "dead" part of the waveform where one transistor crosses the signal over to the other transistor.

Attachments

• crossover distortion.PNG
    crossover distortion.PNG
    35.5 KB · Views: 152
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back