Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Amplify Current

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markom

Hi All!

I am new to this site but have heard good things so here goes!!

I have a 0-5volts out of a DAQ that can only give a maximum of 5mA drive current. I need this to control a burst firing module that needs 4-20mA to control it.

My question is then how would I do this? I presume it is current amplification I need to do..but how!?? I have a second 24volt supply that I can use if needed.

Thank you for your time and if you need any more info please let me know!!

Wouldn't a simple 2n2222 handle this? I'm asking others, as my BJT knowledge is limited.

What voltage output does the current input need?

How do you want to map the 0-5V to 4-20ma, for example, 0V = 4ma, 5V = 20ma?

Hi Carl,

Thank you for your reply!

The current input also needs 5 volts, I forgot to mention that the burst firing module has a 5volt supply which I can use to create the current if necessary.

Yes the mapping would be 0V = 4mA, 5v = 20mA. Although if necessary I could change the lower limit to create current.

The easiest is to use something like this from TI or this from AD.

a circuit using a dual op amp.

Hi Again!

So I checked out the Texas Instruments XTR111, this definately looks like what I need.

I have been looking through the spec pages and its mostly over my head, I was wondering what extra components I will have to add to make it work in my project?

I will be using a 0-5v output from an NI made USB 6008 to create the input signal and I can use either a 24 volt supply or a 5volt supply as Vsp for the converter, as I said before I need 4-20mA at the other side to control a burst firing module!

I have looked at the different arrangements in the spec sheets but I am lost as to what arrangment I use!

Any help is appreciated!

After further looking at the TI devices I think the XTR110 might be better for you. It comes in a DIP package and has built-in resistors to generate the 4-20mA you need. Look at Figure 1 in the XTR110 data sheet. The table shows the connections required (second row from bottom) for a 0-5V input range and a 4-20ma output (slightly different connections from that shown in the schematic). The only added components needed are the decoupling capacitor and the output PMOSFET.

Hi Carl,

Thank you for your recomendations, I have decided on the XTR110 as you said, and a 1 microfarad decoupling capacitor, the mosfet I hope I got right, I am going to use IR1204 MOSFET, I hope this will do the job?

Also with regards the connections to ground, what ground should I use? would it be the ground of the DAQ device for the input and then the ground of the 24v power supply for the rest?

Thanks again!

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back