AN79L10 stable -10V regulation troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's the problem?

You're getting -10V so obviously you're doing it correctly, unless you've made a typographical error of course.

The adjustment parts allow you to increase the output voltage of whatever the IC has as a voltage (from 9.6V to 10.4V). You cannot decrease the voltage.
The adjustment parts ruin the excellent voltage regulation of the IC.

If you want an excellent adjustable negative voltage regulator then use an LM337.

ssylee said:
The problem that I think I'm having is that I'm getting -10.1 V instead of right at -10 V

The problem is you don't read the datasheet. It is perfectly normal for the regulator to output any voltage between -9.5V and -10.5V.

Attachments

• vregn.gif
    11.1 KB · Views: 111
I've taken a look at the 1N4740A zener diode. Apparently it has an error of up to 5%, which basically has the same regulation range as the -10V regulator.

An error of 5% means it can be between 9.5V and 10.5V and 10.1V is only 1% error so you've got a good one. Your meter probably has a tollerence of 1% so it could be between 10V and 10.2V.

Last edited:
ssylee said:
I've taken a look at the 1N4740A zener diode. Apparently it has an error of up to 5%, which basically has the same regulation range as the -10V regulator.

I said "reference" diode, like a TL431 2.5V precision (adjustable) reference.

The 1N4740A zener diode has a tolerance of 5% at its rated current (25mA). Its voltage changes when the current and the temperature change.

A voltage regulator and voltage reference regulate their voltage very well so it barely changes when the current or temperature change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…