Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

analog stepper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielsmusic

i have searched with no luck, i need to make a stepper motor driver that just needs a analog signal is this posible, this stepper has 5 wires 4 coils.

any drawings? any ideas.

thanks.

danielsmusic said:
i have searched with no luck, i need to make a stepper motor driver that just needs a analog signal is this posible, this stepper has 5 wires 4 coils.

any drawings? any ideas.

thanks.

What do you mean by an 'analogue signal'?.

A stepper is just that!, a motor that moves one step at a time, you MUST drive it in that way to move it. You can buy driver chips that generate the required sequence of steps, with simple ON/OFF and CLOCKWISE/ANTICLOCKWISE inputs. Or you can do it quite simply yourself using a PIC.

Without special ICs or microcontrollers you can use digital ICs like in the picture:

Attachments

• stepper1.gif
    stepper1.gif
    11.4 KB · Views: 1,118
by anologe i mean no pwm or anything like that i want to be able to put a voltage in and it will run faster and slower depending on the voltage.

danielsmusic said:
by anologe i mean no pwm or anything like that i want to be able to put a voltage in and it will run faster and slower depending on the voltage.

In other words, just a permanent magnet DC motor.

JimB

You don't want to drive a stepper motor, you want to drive a servo or brush motor with an H-Bridge.

A stepper or a stepper's user: Jerk, jerk, jerk, jerk, jerk.
Get the idea? :?:

Sorry.

danielsmusic said:
it needs to be a stepper

Well, then you need to build a stepper motor drive circuit, which requires much more than changing a voltage to speed up or slow down. Sorry, we can't reinvent the wheel for you.

How is it that I always seem to cause double posts by simply using the back function on windows? Sorry.

Oh, well, I'll make use of it by posting a stepper motor control link. Here is the first one I found on Google.

danielsmusic said:

Hi,
If you use the schematics posted by drrogla and instead of the fixed oscillator use a voltage controlled oscillator, and you have your function.

The only thing you need to make/add is the oscillator. This is the hard fact of stepper motors. You need a lot of discrete electronics to control it.

Or, you could combine the voltage controlled oscillator with the driver circuit in a micro controller. Just keeping the FETs.

TOK ;)

like gorgon said. you just need a oscilator (like a 555) whose frequency you can cintrol, that frequency will controll the RPM of the motor. even with high frequencies you wont get very high RPM with a stepper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back