analog stepper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielsmusic

i have searched with no luck, i need to make a stepper motor driver that just needs a analog signal is this posible, this stepper has 5 wires 4 coils.

any drawings? any ideas.

thanks.

danielsmusic said:
i have searched with no luck, i need to make a stepper motor driver that just needs a analog signal is this posible, this stepper has 5 wires 4 coils.

any drawings? any ideas.

thanks.

What do you mean by an 'analogue signal'?.

A stepper is just that!, a motor that moves one step at a time, you MUST drive it in that way to move it. You can buy driver chips that generate the required sequence of steps, with simple ON/OFF and CLOCKWISE/ANTICLOCKWISE inputs. Or you can do it quite simply yourself using a PIC.

Without special ICs or microcontrollers you can use digital ICs like in the picture:

Attachments

• stepper1.gif
    11.4 KB · Views: 1,118
by anologe i mean no pwm or anything like that i want to be able to put a voltage in and it will run faster and slower depending on the voltage.

danielsmusic said:
by anologe i mean no pwm or anything like that i want to be able to put a voltage in and it will run faster and slower depending on the voltage.

In other words, just a permanent magnet DC motor.

JimB

You don't want to drive a stepper motor, you want to drive a servo or brush motor with an H-Bridge.

A stepper or a stepper's user: Jerk, jerk, jerk, jerk, jerk.
Get the idea? :?:

Sorry.

danielsmusic said:
it needs to be a stepper

Well, then you need to build a stepper motor drive circuit, which requires much more than changing a voltage to speed up or slow down. Sorry, we can't reinvent the wheel for you.

How is it that I always seem to cause double posts by simply using the back function on windows? Sorry.

Oh, well, I'll make use of it by posting a stepper motor control link. Here is the first one I found on Google.

danielsmusic said:

Hi,
If you use the schematics posted by drrogla and instead of the fixed oscillator use a voltage controlled oscillator, and you have your function.

The only thing you need to make/add is the oscillator. This is the hard fact of stepper motors. You need a lot of discrete electronics to control it.

Or, you could combine the voltage controlled oscillator with the driver circuit in a micro controller. Just keeping the FETs.

TOK

like gorgon said. you just need a oscilator (like a 555) whose frequency you can cintrol, that frequency will controll the RPM of the motor. even with high frequencies you wont get very high RPM with a stepper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…