Analog Video into MPEG4 onto 802.11g HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

98formulaLS1

I am in need of some help creating this project.

I have a video camera with a composite analog video output.

I want to digitize this video into an MPEG4 format, and using a built-in web server, broadcast this signal over 802.11g.

I need to create all of this with IC's. I can't hack up any existing product.

This isn't for a school, so all help is appreciated.

Thanks.

thats fine if it costs substantially more than an already existing IP camera.

Well you've got to find someone who makes suitable IC's (that you can source), design circuits around them, then write all the software to control it all - a VERY non-trivial project.

You're essentially designing and protyping a commercial product, with all the costs that involves.

yes, you are correct.

Now back to my initial question. Can anyone help point me in the right direction in designing an IP wireless camera?

yes, you are correct.

Now back to my initial question. Can anyone help point me in the right direction in designing an IP wireless camera?

I just have - no one's likely to have done it, as it's just a non-viable project.

Like anything else, try it in stages - for a start try and source an MPEG4 encoder chipset and datasheets, plus the (presumably required?) licence.

thank you.

does anyone else have any suggestions as to how I can first start by converting my analog video into a digital MPEG4 format?

A video capture card can do that. Try Hauppauge.

It's a really difficult project, why do you want to do it from scratch if it's not a school project?

They're cheap too!
**broken link removed**

A video capture card can do that. Try Hauppauge.

It's a really difficult project, why do you want to do it from scratch if it's not a school project?

They're cheap too!
**broken link removed**

I am aware that there are products that can do this, so doesn't anyone know hows it's done???

Blue & Nigel, i want to thank you two for always being the first to contribute useful input to the few threads i've created over the last week. As a vB mod of other boards, I appreciate your attention.

You must understand this is not a trivial project, far beyond the scope the forums could cover. You need to hire a consultant or contact a company that makes the device and see if you can get an OEM version made to fit your camera.
Here's a link about a company that makes such chips.
**broken link removed**

Last edited:

is it really far beyond the scope of this forum? maybe this particular section, but I'm sure this forum can handle this type of question.

I hope Pleora have what you need. You could also research the chipsets used on capture cards like ATI.

I've been a member on these forums for a couple years now, I've been working with electronics since 1976.

The reason I comment "Buy don't Build" to many posters is the majority of them are under the impression that they don't want to spend the money to buy common mass produced consumer electronics (ie UPS) and are under the impression it something that can be cobbled together out of stuff laying around in their basement.

Well luckily I'm not in the perdicament where I sell my products to the average consumer. This product will be sold to very specialized market, which has already expressed their need for it. This product will sell for thousands per unit. Buying a COTS unit and modding/repacking it is not to my advantage. I dont want to rely on some other company to determine the life of my product.

btw, i know that i wont find pieces to make this product around my house. I'm going to spend hundred and thousands on development.

Your insistence on reinventing the wheel is interesting. Must be a government/military project.

Certainly you could possibly use a chip such as this World's first MPEG-4 CODEC chip features built-in embedded Linux to convert the video to MPEG-4 and a chip from here **broken link removed** to generate the 802.11 signal, plus likely some sort of microprocessor system to tie to all together.

But as Bill implied, you better be well heeled for this. It's not going to cost hundreds or thousands for development, but several zeros beyond that. You will likely need several engineers versed in digital video protocols, WI-FI protocols, RF transmitter design, processor software, (assembly, C, and Linux) as well as high frequency and RF circuit board layout, to get the product to market in a timely manner. It's not just plunking some off-the-shelf chips on a board and you're done. And if the "specialized market" requires special environmental/reliability requirements, that will add additional costs.

If all that doesn't faze you, then good luck. We're not necessarily trying to discourage you, just making sure you appreciate the magnitude of the task.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…