analogue (pots) to digital (ethernet)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rnbguy

hi all I'm trying to design a very cost effective method to acheive this topology:

DSL Modem---->(analogue line)----my converter(CO)---->network switch

So basically an analogue signal comming in from a modem can be converted by my converter enough to just be understood by a digital device such as a network switch.

Does anyone know where i can start to look to be able to compose something like this ?

thanks for the reply, i'm actually looking at having a device act as though putting two adsl modems back to back but without the need for a second modem (due to space, cost and other contraints).

So the pots analogue signal comming from the modems ADSL port would go into this converter I am created then be convertd to digital "ethernet".

I've had a look at a few items I'd need to build this such as a adsl transformed and and ac7 adsl chipset, but just not sure how to put it all together or if someone has already done this?

If you're wanting two ADSL modems 'back to back', then use two of them - they aren't expensive or large.

hi Nigel, thank you for the reply, however there are many limitations to this, such as not all adsl modems come equiped with the correct chipset to allow for back to back connections. I would like to explore an alternative method which will be using a converter which I hope to put together with your assistance

I've had a look at a few items I'd need to build this such as a adsl transformed and and ac7 adsl chipset, but just not sure how to put it all together or if someone has already done this?

You are talking about a 16 port chipset design. This is not something you simply put together on a breadboard. Designing the board alone is a highly complex project. You could actually buy a system incorporating that chipset from TI than you could just pay for the hardware. Unless you plan a production run of a thousand units I don't see this as practical or realistic. Have you reviewed this.

Ron

Perhaps you should explain further EXACTLY what you're wanting to do? - presumably it's networking over very long wires?.

Nigel never mind, Ron hit the nail on the head, what I'm asking is possibly too difficult to build yourself, so the alternative (other then simply buying a modem) would be to buy a prebuilt chipset from a wholesaler, the ac7 ivd is pretty good just looking for similar items to this.

I originally thought I could use the ac7 chip alone with an adsl transformer and build a small converter the size of an ADSL filter

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…