antenna accident

Status
Not open for further replies.

micael

Hi,
I m trying to amplify the voltage from a 433MHz flexi whip antenna which is connected on a strip board.
I have connected 5v supply to the antenna as shown in the schematic (..accident) ending with a circuit(on a stripboard) that works at 200MHz, 300MHz and sometimes 420MHz but not at 433MHz!!!!!
Any ideas whats going on with this circuit?

Attachments

• ANTENNA.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
Stripboards can't work with frequencies anywhere near that high. Too much parasitics. The 741 can't work at that frequency either.

An old, old, old 741 opamp has full output swing up to only 9kHz. Its gain drops to 1 at 1Mhz and keeps dropping at higher frequencies.

Your circuit might be using the opamp's input transistor as an AM detector diode.

It is hopeless to expect your circuit to work as shown because as mentioned above, the 741 is not capable of amplifying such high frequency signals.

You should be using a part like this one:

http://ca.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail?Ref=11773&Row=708587&Site=CA

**broken link removed**

It is a surface mount part and the capacitors for bypassing the dc input and coupling RF in and out must also be surface mount parts mounted close to the IC. You can scratch out a board with a knife and small 1 inch by 1 inch scrap of copper board, but use double sided and ground the top to the bottom all around with copper tape.

audioguru said:
An old, old, old 741 opamp has full output swing up to only 9kHz. Its gain drops to 1 at 1Mhz and keeps dropping at higher frequencies.

Your circuit might be using the opamp's input transistor as an AM detector diode.

This stands only for open loop or it applies also for inverter amplifier using 741 op amp were u can specify the gain ?

The old, old 741 opamp was designed for amplifying DC. So they made its DC open loop gain about 200,000. To prevent it from oscillating with negative feedback added, they added a capacitor that cuts its gain above 2Hz at the rate of a loss of half per doubling of frequency until it doesn't have any gain (a gain of 1) at 1MHz. The output keeps dropping above 1MHz.

The capacitor also causes its max output to have slew-rate-limiting above 9kHz. The output at higher frequencies is converted to ramps like triangle waves and higher frequencies are reduced.

It doesn't matter if it is an inverting or a non-inverting amplifier. It is lousy at frequencies above only 9kHz.

Attachments

• LM741 Opamp.PNG
    29.5 KB · Views: 150
Hi audioguru
thanks for replying
can u give me the source of the attached pictures please?

I guess the 741 is so old that companies don't publish its full spec's anymore.
Try the datasheet for the uA741. I have it from TI and its frequency response graph is with dB's instead of thousands of times for its gain.

In comparator mode your trying to use the full open loop gain (200,000 or so). It will perform terribly at 1MHz, you might end up with a low amplitude triangle wave. Some op-amps will work at 1MHz though, just look for high speed ones.

comparator

I ve just made this circuit that works at 400MHz....?

Attachments

• comparator.JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 149
It doesn't, don't trust the sims . 400MHz is far too high for any op-amp, you need RF amplifiers or the best option, buying a ready made unit. Making anything for these frequencies on stripboard will not be sucessful, not at least without extreme care.

Dr.EM said:
In comparator mode your trying to use the full open loop gain (200,000 or so). It will perform terribly at 1MHz, you might end up with a low amplitude triangle wave. Some op-amps will work at 1MHz though, just look for high speed ones.

i get those graphs when i test the circuit using 433MHz sinewave signal

Attachments

• antanna_input.JPG
    10.2 KB · Views: 135
  • amplifirer_output.JPG
    18.2 KB · Views: 126
What's the scale on those graphs? They are a bit meaningless without scales so the input can be compared to the output.

dknguyen said:
What's the scale on those graphs? They are a bit meaningless without scales so the input can be compared to the output.

For the first, the antenna input is 23mV Pk-Pk
For the second, that is amplifier output is 3.23V Pk-Pk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…