Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Any idea what this wire is for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Larry4911

I live in a sort of rectangular block of houses with the gardens back to back. I live almost in the middle of one long side.
I've been wondering what this wire is for. It goes from our chimney to the back neighbors chimney.
I think it may have been for the old rediffusion system, but it may just as easily be for phone lines.

What do you think?

Thanks

Larry

Attachments

• Strange wire.jpg
    Strange wire.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 206
I live in a sort of rectangular block of houses with the gardens back to back. I live almost in the middle of one long side.
I've been wondering what this wire is for. It goes from our chimney to the back neighbors chimney.
I think it may have been for the old rediffusion system, but it may just as easily be for phone lines.

What do you think?

Thanks

Larry

Could be an old Rediffusion cable, give them a call, if its out of service it should be taken down before it damages your chimney.

Else yours neighbour has tapped into your electricity supply....:rolleyes:

The cable looks woven so I'd say it's 120v - gnd - 120v. A messenger cable wouldn't look woven.

Last edited:
The cable looks woven so I'd say it's 240v - gnd - 240v. A messenger cable wouldn't look woven.

watch out!
it maybe some kind of eavesdropping or spying sys!:D
pple at Devon are known to be so professional at this?;)

Muhammad89

The cable looks woven so I'd say it's 240v - gnd - 240v. A messenger cable wouldn't look woven.

O, my Godness!

How did you figure out it is Woven?
You must be in hand of really healthy eyes!:D, or is it a great Zooming program:confused:

Muhammad89

What do you think?

Thanks

Larry

What is a re diffusion system. And what are those three 90 degree prongs coming off the chimney ?

kv

Broadcasting.

They are aerials for the television system over here.

And the re diffusion a way of broadcasting house to house ?

kv

Last edited:
Simple Question ? Off subject but Still on wire tho.

To clarify further, they are UHF TV aerials, similar to those used in the USA for UHF only.

Here's something similar at RadioShack.

https://www.radioshack.com/product/...057.2032187.2032189.2032205&parentPage=family

Nigal, I wanted to know if I can induce a voltage in a Coax wire that can maybe be strong enough to power an led.

My Idea is to pulse a collapsing field around the wire about a foot from the end and get a voltage out of the center conductor. I was thinking of maybe a high frequency or something.

kv

O, my Godness!

How did you figure out it is Woven?
You must be in hand of really healthy eyes!:D, or is it a great Zooming program:confused:

Muhammad89

It's "goodness."
:p

I kinda' knew what I was looking for.

Last edited:
What is a re diffusion system. And what are those three 90 degree prongs coming off the chimney ?

Rediffusion was a very old cable type system we had many years ago.
They are old style TV antennas.

Willbe said; The cable looks woven so I'd say it's 240v - gnd - 240v. A messenger cable wouldn't look woven.

It's not exactly woven. It seams to be a single or large bundle (about a CM thick) with a single thin wire wrapped around it at about 4CM spacing (one wrap per 4CM). It looks a bit like an old and very long rubber duck type antenna.

Thanks all.

Larry

ADDED: I wouldn't want to have it taken down. I would rather have someone go up there and if it isn't used I could use it as a longwire.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back