Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Any reason not to use a 16C54?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a simple project in mind and although I'm a big fan of the 16F628A as it's cheap and a great chip;but I simply need a basic non reprogrammable micro. The 16C54 fits the bill. All the I/O I need for the project I have in mind and it's cheap too. $1.48 at mouser.

I'm amazed it's still be produced.

Attachments

• hippo3.gif
    hippo3.gif
    28.9 KB · Views: 736
William At MyBlueRoom said:
I have a simple project in mind and although I'm a big fan of the 16F628A as it's cheap and a great chip;but I simply need a basic non reprogrammable micro. The 16C54 fits the bill. All the I/O I need for the project I have in mind and it's cheap too. $1.48 at mouser.

Don't forget, you have to include the cost of the crystal for the C54, the F628 has an internal 4MHz oscillator - which probably makes it cheaper to use?.

As you're obviously aware, the C54 is a seriously old chip! - you also have the big expense of UV eraseable versions for development.

Nigel Goodwin said:
Don't forget, you have to include the cost of the crystal for the C54, the F628 has an internal 4MHz oscillator - which probably makes it cheaper to use?.

As you're obviously aware, the C54 is a seriously old chip! - you also have the big expense of UV eraseable versions for development.

I'm seriously old :)
I have both the 16C54 & an ICE for it. Plus an UV eraser. I thought they killed it off, they did make it 40MHz though...

I've always used a crystal when using RS232 / RS485 communications anyways.

William At MyBlueRoom said:
I've always used a crystal when using RS232 / RS485 communications anyways.

Why? - the internal 4MHz oscillator in the 628 is fine for 9600 baud, or even higher, but I usually only use 9600 anyway.

If you've got a big heap of 16C54's you may as well use them, but it's pretty pointless buying them now.

In fact I gave away a number of 16C57-XT's the other year, over 200 in tubes - I don't have a programmer for them, and I was given them, but couldn't bear to throw them away :)

In fact it was another moderator here who had them, we met at a radio rally at Elvaston Castle - quite funny as it turned out, we arranged to meet by the Russian Communications Truck - I was there, and he was at a different Russian truck :)

I'm lookin' at the 16C54C Data Sheet and it looks like it's a 12-bit core with very limited resources compared to the '628A... Hardly worth the 30 cents savings if you were buying them...

Heck, if you've got a bunch of them on hand, you might as well use them...

BTW, I agree with Nigel... The 1% tolerance 4-MHz and 8-MHz INTOSC in many PICs provides very reliable serial communications as long as you avoid severe temperature extremes... And using special 1.8432, 3.6864, 7.3728, 9.2160, 11.0592, or 18.432-MHz "UART" crystals seems almost silly when you look at the bit rate errors for standard crystal frequencies -- even more so when using newer PICs with 16-bit SPBRG capability...

Have fun... Regards, Mike

**broken link removed**

Mike said:
I'm lookin' at the 16C54C Data Sheet and it looks like it's a 12-bit core with very limited resources compared to the '628A... Hardly worth the 30 cents savings if you were buying them...

Heck, if you've got a bunch of them on hand, you might as well use them...

BTW, I agree with Nigel... The 1% tolerance 4-MHz and 8-MHz INTOSC in many PICs provides very reliable serial communications as long as you avoid severe temperature extremes... And using special 1.8432, 3.6864, 7.3728, 9.2160, 11.0592, or 18.432-MHz "UART" crystals seems almost silly when you look at the bit rate errors for standard crystal frequencies -- even more so when using newer PICs with 16-bit SPBRG capability...

Have fun... Regards, Mike

It will be in a pretty broad temperature range, outdoor, Canadian winter.

Last edited:
If you're designing for a production run of less than a few thousand units, the cost savings is not worth the pain.

If you are designing for a run of tens of thousands of units, there are also pic16c54 clones out there.

The PIC16C54 is still available because there are existing applications developed in the last century that are still in continuous production.

"pic16c54 clones" I thought there were none, the old senix was the only clone I knew of.

Well I took the advice of this thread, sniff I'll miss you little 16C54; but I'd miss a hardware USART, IRQs & Internal OSC more.

I've used a 16F628A in the attached schematic, the crystal will be optional (internal or resonator)
Now what to do with my favourite I/O pins (spare)

RB0 has an edge trigger IRQ
and
RA4 has an open collector output (great for iButton stuff)

Attachments

• hippo4.gif
    hippo4.gif
    29.6 KB · Views: 377
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back