Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Any way to increase RFID range? Trying to build a proximity sensor switch for a vehicle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirbot

I stumbled on this today, and it got me thinking about using something like it in my Jeep as a kill-switch type setup.
Ideally, it would trigger a relay that would allow the engine to start. Maybe by wiring it into the coil.
**broken link removed**

Trouble is, the 3" range isn't nearly enough. It has to be good for at least 2' or so, but I can't seem to find anything like that available.

Would it be possible to use an active RFID tag with this sensor, or... Are there any other ways to get some more range out of it?

Transponders only operate at short distances due to various limiatations like the transponder being powered from the read coil, it also increases security.
You could do as you say with an rf module, range could be up to 100 meters, but it would need a battery.

Looks like maybe this is what I need.
https://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/1356Mhz-RFID-module-IOSIEC-14443-type-a-p-196.html?cPath=19_24

Even with a passive tag, it's 13.56mhz, and apparently that can be good for a few feet.

I've never used anything like this before, so I don't have the first clue how to hook it up, but at least I can mark it down as a "possible" for a future project.

edit
Ok, nevermind. I just re-read the description and realized it said 100mm, not 100cm...
Looks like it's really pretty tough to find any long range RFID stuff.

Yes it is, largely because power is also transmitted, and thats tricky over long distances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back