Are these 2 IGBTs commutable ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGAmodz

Hi everyone on the forum and i hope you a lot of success in your electronics carreer .

I have ordered a IGBT as a rerplacement for the SGW20N60 , but i got this instead HGTG20N60B3.

The only difference i see is the Transistor designs that are different .

Here is two pictures of both designs .

commutable
allowing regular commuting to and from work.
com-mu-tate
regulate or reverse the direction of (an alternating electric current), especially to make it a direct current.regulate or reverse the direction of (an alternating electric current), especially to make it a direct current.
commutateable : rarely used

HGTG20N60B3D
600V, PT IGBT
Not Recommended For New Design as of 07-Dec-2009

If you want to know how to design, then you must learn to read , compare, comprehend
and ask a better question

Hi BGAmodz,

I have had a look at the data sheet for your two IGBTs. The peplacement part has a higher current rating but otherwise is similar. I have only had a quick look at the data sheet though. Can you post what the application is and I will then be able to better tell if the replacement part is suitable.

Datasheets

Original
https://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infin...n.pdf?fileId=db3a304412b407950112b42791a53c6a

Replacement
https://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1639813.pdf

Last edited:

Thanks .

The IGBTs are used on a SMPS 100 A welder TELWIN portable .

I have checked the Signal between gate and emitter and i see a square wave of 60 KHz at approx 80 % Duty cycle .

I still don't know the difference between the drawings of the arrows , and also the frequency if its good or not .

Here is also a picture of the PCB .

Last edited:

Hellow.

Its not HGTG20N60B3D it is HGTG20N60B3.

Thanks for correcting me that commute thingy.

Success i have just soldered everything and the welder is working.

Good news. I am pleased.

I was going to post to say the replacement IGBJT would be OK, in fact better, provided there was nothing onerous about the application, especially high frequency which IGBJTs are not good at. Did the faulty IGBJT go short circuit? That is the normal failure mode when the BJT juctions fuse due to excesive heat (temperature) and high current. It always amazes me what current high power semiconductors can handle.

In my limited experience, it is not uncommon for welder IGBJTs to blow; they have a hard time. Is there a good heat sink. If not perhaps think about fitting one to increase reliability- the bigger the better. There is a welder repair shop in Bath, UK where my son lives. I normally have a chat with the men working there when I am passing. They are knee deep in blown IGBJTs, especially from the cheap Ebay type welders.

60Khz sounds about right for an inverter welder. They use switch mode techniques with a relatively high frequency to make the transformer smaller and cheaper. The transformer size is inversly proportional to the frequency, for a given power. 'Transformer' welders (50Hz/60Hz), as you no doubt know, are big, heavy and expensive, but the most reliable.

As far as I can tell, for practical purposes, the schematic symbols you show for the two IGBJTs are the same and don't imply anything sinister, something I must investigate.

Intrested in your welding experience. What sort of stuff do you weld? Are you a professional? I have done quite a bit of ark, carbon arc brazing, and MIG, mostly cars (autos), but am dreaming about moving to TIG AC for welding ally too. TELWYN gear is good but w...a...y above my price range.

(PS: thks for 'like' vote- my tally is going up )

Last edited:

Hi again and thanks for your interest , and good luck for your son.

Actually am not welding ; i am repairing different types of welders AC and SMPS ones , and i have to say that it was quite hard to learn how to repair SMPS types , but fortunately and after 2 year of success and failure am starting to feel the job in my hands .

No probs about help- my pleasure.

Intresting repairing welders- the basic welding function, volts and amps, is not really complicated, but some of the schematics are very difficult to follow. The controll fuctions can be a bit awkward though, especially if they use processors.

What part of the world are you at? Don't say if not happy to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…