ARGHHHH, How can you get in to the industry???

Status
Not open for further replies.
So how do you get started? Am I just kidding my self by thinking I will get an Engineering job with just an associates of applied science in CEET (Computer Electronics Engineering Technology)?

I missed the part where you have an associates (2-year) degree in applied science.

Yes your aim is too high for now. Get a good technician job to finance a BS if not an MS in engineering (if you intend to pursue electronics, that's probably ECE). I don't know anyone who got a job as engineer with an AS degree.

hey i know this is impeding on someone else's post but one day (still in highschool) i would love a good engineering job in computers and or circuitry so anyone have any good ideas for career paths?

Wow thats a bummer. Going back to school will be damn hard now that I have 2 kids. The suck thing is I could get my BS for free due to my military service, but It would be hard as hell to pull off. I would still haft to work 20hrs a week on top of full-time schooling to stay above water and get a degree (and even that may be wishful thinking).

You could be dissatisfied with what you can get with the AAS degree (maybe you already are), but if you love the work it's still a win. Keep trying. Just don't measure your success by the job offers you (don't) get in the first two weeks.

My dad pursued a 4-yr degree, with 3 kids, but it was hard.

I think that if the school you attented told you that you could get a job as an engineer with a 2 year degree they sold you a bill of goods.

The last time I looked a 4 or 6 year (masters) with good grades is required.

3v0 said:
I think that if the school you attented told you that you could get a job as an engineer with a 2 year degree they sold you a bill of goods.

The last time I looked a 4 or 6 year (masters) with good grades is required.

I concur. I was on the hiring end in a technical field for many years and can say that the Associates degree counted for almost nothing, except when required as a matter of law. Bachelors or Masters (or equivalent) were essential for anything interesting, and a Doctorate was needed if you wanted to lead, rather than be a technician. These coments apply to the market in the USA. John

Well it sounds like Its back to school for me. I was sure I wouldn't land an engineer position with just my degree. I was kinda looking towards starting out as an assistant or type of apprentice and working up from there.

I'm glad you decided to do that. Now how? Many universities and colleges offer liberal tuition benefits for all employees after various periods of service. The salaries may not be great at any positon compared to industry, but the benefit is worth a lot and may be tax free. John

Tuition is not the problem. The problem is going to school while trying to keep a job that can keep my family a float.

The right tech job can be good too
Or why you may not want to be an engineer

When I started as an engineer there was no doubt that it was better to be an engineer then a tech. The hours were good and the benifits were great.

By the time I left the company they had cut so many engineering positioins that the remaining people were working way too many hours. Techs were paid by the hour. The divorce rate for engineers was quite high.

Another common proatice is to give various bonuses rather then raises. Interesting thing when you do not know how much you will be making from quarter to quarter.

On the other hand I loved the work. The long hours were not so bad from that vantage point. If you got a bad manager the pressure could suck.

I am sure there are still good engineering jobs out there. Need to flip over a few rocks to find them.

Maybe find a tech job and work for a few years. When the kids are old enough to spend the entire day in school mom can get a job too.

From what I have seen the engineers with a hobby or tech background are much more hands on and seem to have a better grasp of things.

YMMV

I certanly don't know your situation, but I have seen several people go to school and work essentially full time. One advantage to doing it at a college or university is that the classes and work can be just walking distance apart. Also, we allowed employees to adjust their work hours (within reason) to fit class hours. We allowed vacation during finals, etc. Some corporations are also pretty liberal in helping employees further their education, but it is probably more common at educational institutions to make such adjsutments to fit an employee's educational goals. John

Brian, it sounds like you are looking for an easy fix and are pretty easily disappointed and discouraged. You kind of turn up your nose at suggestions that would make you do something you don't really want to do or go somewhere you don't want to go even if they sound like pretty good opportunities to get your foot in the door.

May I ask what sorts of projects and special studies you were doing as you were attending school that would get you glowing recommendations from your instructors? Or, what sorts of jobs you were doing to gain experience as you were in school to demonstrate enthusiasm and a willingness to take jobs for the experience?

With the possible exceptions of the whiz-kids that come out of Stanford and MIT and other top engineering schools, we all have war stories about getting started in electronics. I wont bore you with mine but, trust me, I got 'em.

To paraphrase a former president... ask not what the company can do for you...ask what you can do for the company.

Im not sure how you gathered that I am "looking for an easy fix and are pretty easily disappointed and discouraged" and " You kind of turn up your nose at suggestions that would make you do something you don't really want to do or go somewhere you don't want to go even if they sound like pretty good opportunities to get your foot in the door" but thank you for your opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…