As a Beginner

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruzfactor

I want to make a lock which can be controlled by a 4x4 keypad for a 4 bit code. I want to use micro controller so that the code can be changed whenever the user wants. And also a LCD display to display whats typed.

As a beginner to micro controller where should I start from? Which MC would be best?? PIC or others??
Programming in Assembly or C??

Any kind of help is appreciated. Just think of me as a beginner.

Someone Please check this tutorial:
**broken link removed**
Does all the PICs have same instructions?
I know C language (not for micro controller, only general purpose) but is it better to program PIC in assembly?

ruzfactor,
You have been given some good advice right here:

Nigel Goodwin said:
Check my PIC tutorial, which has almost exactly what you need!.

Perhaps you don't take advice, so why ask for help?

Nigel's PIC Tutorial is excellent. But the problem is, it's for PIC16F628. But I didn't find any PIC16F628 in the shop.I have a PIC16F84A.That's why I asked!

Also I don't know assembly language and I find it a bit hard. I'm completely new to this MCU field.

I've just finished building the P16PRO40 programmer. I was wondering if it runs under a WIN98 based Laptop and also does it support F84A?

Yes to both - but the 84 is an absolute antique, it was replaced by the 628 last century, but appears to have been re-introduced for all the idiots who keep buying them, and paying extra money for them!.

The 628 isn't a new chip, but it's higher spec than the 84, and considerably cheaper.

628 uses the same 14 bit core, and the code requires very few changes to work - main problem is the lack of resources in the 84 - such as number of I/O pins.

I have connected the P16PRO40 to my laptop. And when I connected it and turn on the laptop the red led turned on & when win98 was loaded the green led turned on. But when I tried to write PIC with the WINPICPROG 1.91 it gave an error:
Program Verify failed at Program address 0x000, Programming Aborted!

Any idea why i'm getting this error?

The P16PRO40 is a typical JDM style programmer and may not run unless it's on a real RS232 port (No USB to RS232 adapters)
They are also somewhat unreliable.

I thought this would work! This was my third programmer which has failed to work. In my country, a Programmer costs a lot. And moreover they don't sell any kind of cheap PIC programmer kits. Without a programmer It's hard to learn PIC.
(

ruzfactor said:
I thought this would work! This was my third programmer which has failed to work. In my country, a Programmer costs a lot. And moreover they don't sell any kind of cheap PIC programmer kits. Without a programmer It's hard to learn PIC.
(
If you can buy or order a Microchip PIC you should be able to buy or order a ) and I love it. No more wasting time fiddling with a finicky, slow programmer. It just works.

Last edited:
Ordering online requires CC and I don have a CC and also microchip doesn't have my country enlisted. I guess I have to wait until some cheap programmer arrives in my country.

ruzfactor said:
Ordering online requires CC and I don have a CC and also microchip doesn't have my country enlisted. I guess I have to wait until some cheap programmer arrives in my country.
What I'm suggesting is that you go to whoever sold you the PIC and get them to order you a PICkit2. They already deal with a Microchip supplier. It should be trivial for them to order you a PICkit2.

P16PRO40 is a parallel port (Tait style) programmer, not a JDM style programmer. If assembled correctly it should work fine on a laptop.

skyhawk said:
P16PRO40 is a parallel port (Tait style) programmer, not a JDM style programmer. If assembled correctly it should work fine on a laptop.

Exactly, the P16PRO40 is a fairly standard Tait parallel port programmer, with the addition of an extra Vpp line (called Vpp40 - hence the 40 in the name) which allows programming all sizes of chips in one Aries type ZIF socket.

They usually work fine on laptops, but if the laptop has a weird non-standard port you may have problems.

Only if the laptop has a printer port, a USB to parallel adapter will be a problem. Most laptop printer ports disappeared before the serial ports did.
Lothar Stolz posted a simple 4 resistor LVP circuit for the 16F877, better PIC all around than the 16F84.
**broken link removed**
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
It's a shame you couldn't start out with an AVR. The programming application (which is free) comes with a lovely graphical simulator, which you can single step through and manually adjust the I/O to simulate pressing keys on a keypad (that way you can try out the microcontroller before ever buying anything). It's very intuitive, I suggest you try it out if you haven't dedicated yourself to the PIC series yet.

So you are suggesting that I should try with ATMEL AVR. For my project which would be suitable AVR or PIC?

ruzfactor said:
So you are suggesting that I should try with ATMEL AVR. For my project which would be suitable AVR or PIC?

Either would be perfectly fine, I've no idea what point Salgat was trying to make?.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…