Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ATMEGA/ARDUINO question

Status
Not open for further replies.

large_ghostman

Most Helpful Member
I have had a quick look through the Atmega 640 datasheet and cant find an answer. I dont use them very much so not really up on the details.

What I would like to know is do the ATMEGA chips have a unique code for EACH chip like pics do? I know the AT chips have a device ID that says what the chip is and a date code etc, but I couldnt see anything in the datasheet that says each and every chip has a unique ID number, does anyone know if it does?

I have had a quick look through the Atmega 640 datasheet and cant find an answer. I dont use them very much so not really up on the details.

What I would like to know is do the ATMEGA chips have a unique code for EACH chip like pics do? I know the AT chips have a device ID that says what the chip is and a date code etc, but I couldnt see anything in the datasheet that says each and every chip has a unique ID number, does anyone know if it does?

PIC's from the manufacturer do not have individual serial numbers/unique codes on each chip. The chip carries an ID that the programmer can check to be sure it is the correct device as specified in the configuration settings. For example, if the Microchip programmer detects a 16F1829 and the settings are for a 16F1519, the programmer will give an error.

Here is a more extended discussion of such identifications: https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/21447/is-there-a-built-in-serial-number-in-pic-chip
Although only strictly applicable to PIC's, the comments about serialization during manufacturing of the MCU may apply to other manufacturers. Also, EEPROM's may be different than MCU's in that regard.

John

There is no serial or id number on an Arduino. The closest to this is the USB id, which is only accessible from a PC. you could program an id into EEPROM and use that. If you have enough pins, you could assign some to an id, connect to dip switches and read them in

PIC's from the manufacturer do not have individual serial numbers/unique codes on each chip. The chip carries an ID that the programmer can check to be sure it is the correct device as specified in the configuration settings. For example, if the Microchip programmer detects a 16F1829 and the settings are for a 16F1519, the programmer will give an error.

Here is a more extended discussion of such identifications: https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/21447/is-there-a-built-in-serial-number-in-pic-chip
Although only strictly applicable to PIC's, the comments about serialization during manufacturing of the MCU may apply to other manufacturers. Also, EEPROM's may be different than MCU's in that regard.

John
have read the stack stuff and the stuff on microchip forum, the info is wrong, MC told me ages ago each chip has an ID number effectively because of time and batch stamps, there is also a way to read it but I cant find the details at the moment

have read the stack stuff and the stuff on microchip forum, the info is wrong, MC told me ages ago each chip has an ID number effectively because of time and batch stamps, there is also a way to read it but I cant find the details at the moment

Some of the new ones have read-only unique UID.

Wow, that is some chip. Quite new too. I guess Microchip decided finally to roll all of the memory into one place.

John

Hi north, there is also some 18f parts!! i cant find the files on the computer now, But will keep looking, when I asked a fair while back I was able to read the numbers from a couple of 18fs I am pretty sure they were 'K' parts. The data sheets didnt say much and the family sheet had little info, but I saw an app note so asked MC about it. I just assumed it was well known and I was simply behind the times again :D.

I need it for something so will go deep deep digging again and post the info here when I get it, also when I asked UK MC they ssaid no but USA MC told me where it was and how to read it, I am aware its read only and thats why I want it, also in one email I remember it being mentioned that the main reason for the numbers at the time was due to 'sample' parts cropping up on ebay etc in large numbers.
So maybe its more common in parts than we know. Maybe the lack of info has something to do with them being able to trace a chip back.

Anyway I wish I had kept all the info but much was on the old dead HDD, I have some on this computer but didnt file it away properly, I guess I will have to go hunting and digging again :D

PIC32MZ for sure. I'm sure there are others, but it's hard to search for them since it doesn't show up in parametric search.

The value should usually match the MACID that is programmed into the part for the Ethernet module.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back