Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Audio Booster Circuit: where's the complete circuit for input signal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

electrik890

Let's say I hook up my IPOD... Where's the complete circuit from the IPOD, through the audio booster and back to the IPOD?

**broken link removed**

What is the output of the audio boost circuit to be connected to? You know that it can not drive a speaker.

You want to send the audio from the iPod out to the booster... and then send it back to the iPod? I'm not sure I understand what you are asking for.

I'm speaking hypothetically.

Here's what I meant...
I hook the IPOD to the input.
I hook the output to another amplifier stage. Thanks for pointing out it can't drive a speaker (8ohm perhaps?).

I presume there's (-) and (+) terminals at the ipod headphone jack. If so, then (-) would go to that RCA jack and meet the capacitor. What happens to the (+)?

The IPOD has a stereo output.There are three connections to the IPOD; Tip, Ring and Sleeve. Tip is usually Right channel, Ring is Left channel and sleeve is the common signal return for both channels. There may be a DC blocking capacitor inside the IPOD in bopth channels. The IPOD usually drives earbuds or headphones that have a nominal impedance of ~35Ω, so it will not drive an 4 or 8Ω speaker. The voltage at the output is ~1Vp-p.

Do not plug a mono jack into the IPOD. A mono jack will put a dead short on one of the IPOD's amplifiers.

Last edited:
It depends on the iPod model, I have a fifth gen nano that went through more abuse in the first month than most iPods go through in a lifetime. The left and right output on mine have been shorted together and both work just fine, they seem to have an internal resistor for protection. I also measured the output with an oscilloscope and the voltage managed to reach 2.5Vp but never dipped below ground. I can't say that this is true for all iPods, I'm sure they are all different.

And for clarification, the list of deaths from my iPods:
1st) iPod Nano G2 --- Manor of death unknown, cause of death- faulty wiring in a homemade charger
2nd) iPod Nano G5 --- Manor of demise- faulty amp feedback into headphone jack, not dead just useless
3rd) iPod Nano G5 --- Manor of death- back to the charger again
4th) iPod Nano G5 --- Still going, currently in the process of dying from old age. It was a refurbished one and the battery has started having a hard time holding it's charge.

The G5s are starting to become hard to find now so I'm currently babying this one.

How does a mono jack work electrically then?
Tip caries (+), ring carries (-) and sleeve is the common signal return path?

Mono jack has Tip and Sleeve connections (two) only. Stereo Jack has Tip, Ring, and Sleeve connections (three).

The absence of the Ring on a Mono jack is what shorts the Left channel to the Sleeve. If you want mono out of an IPOD or similar device use a Stereo jack, and don't connect to the Ring. That will give you the Right Channel only.

If you want better Mono sound, bridge Right (Tip) and Left (Ring) with two 47Ω resistors to the input of your mono amp.

Thanks for the help guys. I found this site that shows how to physically connect ring, tip and sleeve to a circuit.
**broken link removed**

The Jack on your IPOD is likely a 3.5mm (~1/8") one, while what is depicted in your link is a 1/4" plug and jack

The basic point remains the same. The audio booster circuit made it look like only 1 wire goes from the jack to the audio booster. So if I were to build the audio booster, then one wire would go to the capacitor and the other to the battery (mono).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back