Audio/LED Synchronization

Status
Not open for further replies.

iONic

Essentially I am looking for what some call a "color Organ". I want to take an audio signal, devide it into three separate signals, Low/Mid/High. Then I want to drive sets of LED's, Red,Yellow, Green. I am looking for each band (Low/Mid/High) to flash based on the beat of the Base, Midrange, and Trebble. I plan to put the LED's
in a pair of goggles.

Do you have any ideas or suggestions on how I can accomplish this?

Thanks

Brian

AudioGuru responded to my private message:

There is a project on another website that uses an obsolete quad opamp and some hard to find Japanese LED driver ICs.
Make a new topic in the forum and maybe somebody knows a new circuit or we can update the one I saw.
Audioguru

Here is a link to a circuit that does not split the audio into three freq ranges but is said to drive the LED's to music.

http://www.hackcanada.com/homegrown/wetware/brainwave/audio_machine/index.html

I suspect that I would need a gain controll for each of the three freq bands.

Here is the 3-frequency ranges spectrum analyser project that uses an obsolete "odd biasing" quad opamp and hard to find Japanese LED drivers:
https://www.aaroncake.net/circuits/3chspec.asp

The schematic has some errors that I fixed.
Ordinary quad opamps can be used if they are biased properly.
Easy to get LM3915 LED driver ICs should be used for up to 10 LEDs per frequency band.

Attachments

• 3chspec.PNG
    29.7 KB · Views: 264
Well... I did find the IC's so they are on order... we will see if this can do what I'd like it to.

Thanks for the reference audioguru!

What type of caps would be used for the 47nF, 4.7nF, and the 470pF in this circuit?

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
I use 5% metalized plastic capacitors for audio with values of 4.7nF and 47nF. The 470pF capacitors can be 5% NPO ceramic.
This new circuit is not a spectrum analyser. It filters audio but does not have the peak detectors and LED drivers of the other circuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…