Audio modulating....

Status
Not open for further replies.

things

Hey guys,
I ripped the little driver out of a neon tube, and it produces a nice quiet puprle arc. Seems perfect for audio modulation, though i need some help on how i could wire it up. It has 2 transistors on board, they are both D882's, 2 resistors, 1 diode, 2 caps, and a weird black thing, i think it may be a inductor of some sort. Aswell as the HV transformer. I know putting a audio signal into the input will not work, so i somehow have to hook the audio to the transistors to change the frequncy of the arc somehow. Anyone know how i could do this? If you want a pic of the board, i can add one once i take it.

Thanks

Electrically, there is *nothing* quiet about an arc. Acoustically, maybe.

This doesnt sound like it can work - though I dont fully understand what you are trying to do. Please post a schematic of what you have and what it is you are trying to modulate for a clear answer.

He is trying to make a plazma tweeter. The voltage or current to the arc is amplitude modulated and the sound it makes is also amplitude modulated.

The circuit he has is an oscillator with a voltage stepup transformer. It probably cannot be modulated.

Most of the plazma tweeter project videos on U-Tube sound extremely distorted and "buzzy".

The thing is, to yor ear, the arc is basically silent, perfect for a plasma tweeter, but i just need to figure out how to get it to modulate properly. I would be asking this on a HV forum but its down for some reason.

Somebody in the last couple of days on one of these forums posted links to U-Tube videos of plazma tweeters. Most sounded horrible but one sounded pretty good. I think it used the flyback transformer of a TV, oscillated at an ultrasonic frequency and it was amplitude modulated.

I doubt that the circuit in the neon thing can be used.

Yeah i have tried using a TV flyback, but the output was so small it wasnt really work it. i dont need great quality sound, pretty much just a proof of conecpt thing. TO audio modulate a arc, what do you need to do? Vary the frequency or duty cycle or something?

You make the arc with an ultrasonic frequency (above 40kHz) then you amplitude modulate its voltage or its current. A flyback from a TV is designed for 15.7kHz so maybe one for a monitor would be better and able to go to the very high frequency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…