Audio phase cancellation phenom

Status
Not open for further replies.

hubie

Back at the church ;I have run into a cancellation problem in the audio. I am feeding a DVD and CD recorder from a sound board and when I have both right and left plugged in I get no sound. when I remove either the right or left audio connector it works fine. What causes this phenom?
Hubie

Audio phase cancellation does not work in such a way as to cancel all audio. The chances that two 100% null spots ocupy exactly the same spot as where your ears are is non existant. Check your cabling configuration.

Could be a miswired cable. If you use 3 wires for XLR, check the wires for phase reversal. Also, make sure the left and right program sources are in phase. sometimes amateur recordings are out of phase.

One time a local FM station played some mono music but the wiring in the studio had the phase of one channel reversed. When my receiver was in stereo the sound was out of phase with reduced bass but loud enough. When I switched my receiver to mono then the sound was almost completely cancelled.

On an XLR does that mean when Pin 2 and 3 are reversed or is it an un-balanced wiring and Pin 2-3 are reversed with ground?

Edit: At the Studio I mean.

Last edited:
Swapping the wires for pin 2 and pin 3 on an XLR connector reverses the phase.

I remember when stereo stores always had speakers connected out-of-phase then they cranked up the bass to try and get some bass.
I would rewire one speaker to match the phase of the other speaker and turn the bass down to normal.

Swapping the wires for pin 2 and pin 3 on an XLR connector reverses the phase.

Thank you.

remember when stereo stores always had speakers connected out-of-phase then they cranked up the bass to try and get some bass.
I would rewire one speaker to match the phase of the other speaker and turn the bass down to normal.

Only "you" would do that, hahahaha

I hate loud bass. "It's stupid sounding" what good is music.

Just get a drum machine and then piss everyone off.

I'm surprised they don't "crap their pants" going down the road.

There is good bass that plays all low frequencies evenly and there is cheap boomy bass that plays only one frequency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…