Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Audio playback controlled by PWM signal from RC receiver

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karloff

A word of warning to begin with that I am a complete newbie to electronics and while I am trying hard to grok this vast universe of information. However, I am simply stumped and left without a clue. Thus my cry for help and some advice.

I am looking at mocking up a simple sound module governed by a PWM signal coming from the throttle pins of a common RC model receiver. I am aware of at least 2 commercially available solutions, the better being from Benedini. His **broken link removed** fits the bill perfectly, but it is too heavy for my application. Similar modules exist in the model rail road community such as by Phoenix Sound or **broken link removed** or **broken link removed**. Those are nifty little gems, but chock full of features I do not require and far too heavy.

Heavy, you say? Well that's the whole reason for going out on this venture. I fly micro RC and free flight electric airplanes that weigh anything from 8g AUW to 50g (that's about 1/4 - 1 3/4 ounces).

I've googled around and as far as I can tell I have these options at my hands:
  1. Use **broken link removed**
  2. Use a PIC with some MPF to store sound samples
  3. Use one of Atmel's AVRs
  4. Use something I don't know of yet :)
For now my requirements are as follows:
  1. Connects between motor and throttle on common RC receiver
  2. Playback of 3 audio samples where first throttle input initiates engine startup sample, no throttle response for given time plays back engine off sample and throttle response samples engine sound proportionally to given throttle
  3. Good sound quality (at 24kHz sample rate)
  4. Around 0.8A to 1A internal amplifier (nothing that is heavy like heatsinks) ideally at 8ohm impedance so I don't need to hack around speakers
  5. Powered by a single cell LiPo battery at 3.7V
  6. Small footprint of the board layout i.e. KISS principle and what you don't need now, you won't need later
  7. Programmable or at least have the ability to upload new samples via an external programming board
That pretty much completes my wish list as far as dreaming is allowed. To save on weight which is the ultimate design restriction, use of thin PCB wafer, SMDs and solder on lead outs on the PCB (no plugs or such required for connecting to Rx and motor or for programming the board) would be good I guess.

Ultimately, any help, advice, recommendations, samples and so forth are more than welcomed, though most of all, could someone in the know just tell me whether I am completely off and I can only continue dreaming of such a board at something below 2g weight?

As for fitting the software I am comfortable learning whatever needs to be learned (I am a software developer) though I'd rather not venture into ASM and use one of the higher level language compilers (AVR Studio, mikroElektronika compilers for PICs etc).

So then, I probably forgot to mention something as it is incredibly late here, but do ask or answer.

Many thanks in advance!

p.s. I am in no hurry at all with this, though definitely determined to committed to do this. Getting into electronics to write my own servo controllers, BL motor controllers for tiny single phasers etc. and sometime in the distant future put that on an all-in-one board as to my exact needs would be marvelous... even though nothing but thin air right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back