Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Automatic Transfer Switch - ATS

Status
Not open for further replies.

huntnuarr

Help me people!!!!

I hv been assigned by my lecturer to design an automatic transfer switch, ATS but im not a technical based student so i dont know how to design such thing. This thing is operates as below:

ATS continually monitor the incoming utility power. Any anomaly such as voltage sags, blackouts, spikes or surges will cause the internal circuit to command an emergency generator startup and then connect the loads to the generator when additional switch circuitry determines the generator has the proper voltage and frequency. When utility power returns, or no other anomalies have occurred for a set time, the ATS will then connects the load back to the utility power and command the generator to turn off after another specified amount of cool down time.

I hv been assigned by my lecturer to design an automatic transfer switch, ATS but im not a technical based student so i dont know how to design such thing.

So, what kind of a student are you, please tell us.

What idiot of a lecturer would give such a project to non "technical based student"?

JimB

Transfer switch

There is an easy way to to design an Automatic Transfere Switch. Lets discuss two ways:
1.- Using a transfer unit mechanism which can be found from a manufacturer. This mechanism can be of two ways; motorized type like Socomec or momentarily energized single-solenoid ( some designs are dual-solenoid)
2.- Using two electromagnetic power contactors

Then you kind design an electromagnetic control by using a phase protector for the incoming power monitoring and some power relays to switch either to the emergency position or back to the normal position. Another relay shall be used to start and or sptop de generator. You also can use a time delay relay to delay the retrasfer and a digital timer for a weekly excersiser.

This is what I can give you for now. I hope this can give you an idea of what to do.

Regards,

CR

Help me people!!!!

I hv been assigned by my lecturer to design an automatic transfer switch, ATS but im not a technical based student so i dont know how to design such thing. This thing is operates as below:

ATS continually monitor the incoming utility power. Any anomaly such as voltage sags, blackouts, spikes or surges will cause the internal circuit to command an emergency generator startup and then connect the loads to the generator when additional switch circuitry determines the generator has the proper voltage and frequency. When utility power returns, or no other anomalies have occurred for a set time, the ATS will then connects the load back to the utility power and command the generator to turn off after another specified amount of cool down time.

Did you succeed in your project?

I am in the process of designing an automatic trasfer switch, but needs to figure out the electronics and logics part (such as mains lost detection, generator start, power good, ready for transfer, transfer to generator, etc)

The actual load switching will be done using ABB (The ABB Group - Automation and Power Technologies) contactors mechanically linked to prevent the two sources from ever getting to each other (bang!).

Contactors are ABB A50-30-11 (two of these) and the mechanical interlock is the ABB VE5-2.

Regards,

Abrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back