Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Avago Magnetic Encoder Default?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpanhalt

Most Helpful Member
I bought the Avago AEAT-6600-T16 instead of the AMS device that is similar.

Has anyone set this up in the default state and gotten an output? The datasheet is pretty vague about which that output will be. It appears to be the DO/DI pin from my study, but I am not at all confident in that.

John

Looks to me like it offers several outputs simultaneously, to get the serial data out of the DO/DI pin you need to provide a clock signal at 1MHz.

Got it working. I had forgotten to pull the NCS (aka CS) pin low. Also dropped the frequency to 50KHz so I had 20 uS and didn't have to mess with using an MCU for my clock -- just wanted a feel for the chip without getting real, numerical data. I just used a signal generator.

I initially read the datasheet much as you did. Then as I re-read it several times, I realized that one cannot have PWM output and DO at the same time. PWM requires programming. I believe DO is the default output. The programmer is available as a kit with an evaluation board for about $1200.00 USD. Since the AMS devices are similar and offer regular serial programming, if needed, I plan use them. The evaluation kits for AMS devices range from about $125 for a complete demo kit to $15 for a bare breakout board.

John

UPDATE:

I went ahead and ordered the comparable device from AMS. The chip itself is the AS5048A/B. The chip comes programmed with PWM output and either SPI or I2C output depending on the suffice A or B, respectively. Initial testing was easy. You can hold the magnet with your hand and get a feel for how the device works.

Then I noticed that my vendor also had the evaluation board for a very reasonable price and a neat little fixture for holding the magnet that snapped into the board. That little fixture (RMH05-DK-xx-ND) @$9.21 is worth it. The chip itself is $11.30, but the evaluation board with a pre-installed chip and bypass capacitors is only $19.39. Assuming you will probably need an adapter board for the bare chip anyway, the cost is about break even.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back