AVR Dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarveyH42

Banned
Just order the AVR Dragon from Digikey. No telling how long it long it's going to take, on back order. For the price, should be plenty nice for a beginner in microcontrollers (first time).

Just to get started, I downloaded AVR Studio 4.12, and the service pack 4. Intalled them and tried an example in the simulator. Everything worked as described. One weird thing, I can't access the help files from the program, the start menu, or even direct from the folder. The Atmel site seems a little light on information (might not know exactly where to look), but they make many references to the AVR Studio help, also mention online help. Still haven't figured that out yet.

I plan to program in assembler because I use to be pretty good with 6502. Think it will go easier than learning C. Should go smoothly, looked over the instruction set PDF (150 pages), and doesn't look too bad. 6502 only has 3 registers, AVR has 32 working registers.

The main site/forum for AVR, is AVRfreaks.com. I did the register think, but can't seem to get logged in. I get a screen that tells me to enable Cookies, which I did for the site, still no good. Did manage to get a few good pointers though. I was going to get a few ATAtiny11 (sixty cents each) to practice on, flash a few LEDS... But apparently these are seriously limited compared to the tiny13 ($1.20). Will get the data sheets for both and compare, but will most likely go with the tiny13 for my first chip. The AVR Dragon doesn't come with a ZIF socket, not real sure if this will be a big deal, at this time not to worried about it. Looked around and found that a 40 pin goes for anywhere from $7.00 to 16.00, plus shipping... perhaps not worth the added expense. The Dragon can program supporting devices in-system, probably what I'll use most anyway, don't see myself doing production work, just misc. projects at home.

Any, have been consider taking the leap into microcontrollers for a while, and did a lot of reading. When I saw this USB programmer for under $50 (most likely around $65 after S & H, taxes and crap...), figured it was time. I chose AVR over PIC mostly because of the instruction set. PIC has only 36 opcodes, where AVR has 90. I'm pretty good at making do with what I have availiable, but why limit myself by choice? I just know how much more effort it takes to make some work for something it was made for. In a high level language like C or BASIC, you would never know the difference, except in size of the compiled code (much larger). Sure, a couple of thousand bytes is more than enough, and most application will need lots of delay loops so speed isn't an issue either.

Would like to hear about AVR Dragon and AVR Studio. Just getting started, so any suggestions or words of caution before do some damage. I've got a few weeks before the Dragon ships, so plent of time to get ready.

Damn, that was quick! Just got the shipped E-Mail from Digikey. Could have it by this weekend. Have order some chips, and should be ready to ask retarded-noobie questions in about a week... Actually, I think it'll go pretty smoothly.

sounds good ,
i did my first assembly programming on a Z80
135 instructions if i recall correctly
good luck , keep us informed

I can send you some (3) Tiny11 chips free (stamp is on me). I live in Florida.

The STK-500 will not program them (or at least the one I bought will not) and the one I made from the internet (you can have that too). The lack of ATMEL support did not help on that one. I moved to the Microchip family..

I will keep the Mega8 chips I have since I like them and they work. And my old 1200A and 2313 chips.

The (20) tiny2313's that did not work I sent back. Appears they (Atmel) set the fuses wrong.. That cost me the digikey shipping (to me) and my shipping to send them back. But Atmel told me about the mistake on them after I mailed them back to digikey.

No matter, the project was done at that point with a PIC 16F683. I can PM you the EMAIL from Atmel, I think I saved it. Good luck.

I started out with assembly on the Z80, then graduated to a real microcontroller from Texas, two completely different animals...I haven't looked back since to those intrepid times...although I do sometimes run across Z80 based control systems that need repaired etc.
I have used the Atmels, Microchip's, Intel's, Zilog's & Texas's offerings over the years with varying degrees of learning required, some steeper curves than others I may add. My favourite quick and dirty range are the PIC's, they lend themselves so well to what I do with them, but then, they were designed as a sort of standalone pseudo glue, with a bit of intelligence tossed in...I remember seeing them in photocopiers etc back when GI were still branding them...
For really serious control projects, I use mainly Atmel stuff, primarily the ATMega range, because of the speed advantages, but I am now looking towards the PIC18F range for serious, but mid sized projects.

My ultimate chip would be one that has everything onboard, and can be programmed to do anything I so wish using nothing but voice instructions...ahh...it's a fickle world eh ? :d

Tunewolf,
You can get chips like that. They're called Embeded Programmers => You wouldn't like the price though, they take at least 4 years to order and that's for ones fresh off the line with lots of bugs and come with a huge upkeep! They also tend to do unexpected things to comply with your verbal commands if you're not explicit enough. Oddly enough this is not very different from dealing with most other digital devices using lower level languages.. =)

Check the UPS link after work today, my delivery is set for Monday (6th). Ordered some chips from Futurelec (tiny13, tiny2313 and some mega8), so I should be good. Thanks for the tiny11 offer, but think I'll pass, they seem to have serious limitations compared to the tiny13s and I don't want to have sort that out on my first try. Feel pretty confident I can flash an LED with the tiny13, if the programmer works as expected. Never used one before on anything, but sounds pretty simple.

My first real project (probably in a month or so) will be a timer for my coffee roaster (hot air popcorn popper). I've been needing a minutes/seconds timer since I started roasting my own beans, but can't seem to find what I want in the stores, except the basic stopwatch. So, I'll get to learn how to program an LCD display. After that, I can add control to the heating element (temperature, on/off), and maybe eventually a cooling cycle. After I finish this, should have a good home coffee roaster, and a good handle on microcontrollers. Already wondering what to use to switch a 1500 watt heating element...

Yes, the tiny 11 is a waste. Also, If the Tiny2313 does not program, re-write the fuse bits and they will, that is many weeks of waiting on Atmel, so I will save you the time. I hope they fixed the Tiny2313..

The Mega8 is a great chip.

I used RVKBASIC (bastoc.com) and the atmels for years until I fell into the 50 cent Tiny 11 and the bounced into the bad Tiny2313's. They are a good chip, but I am playing in the PIC world for now.

I didn't just rush into this, hopefully I'm ready for it. Been playing with AVR Studio in simulator mode, and really seems easy. Wish there were virtual parts and test equipment to build projects and see the results, but I guess that's a different sort of program.

where does one get unroasted coffee beans?
i've been looking for a source of beans for a while now.
and youve been roasting them yourself!

williB said:
where does one get unroasted coffee beans?
i've been looking for a source of beans for a while now.
and youve been roasting them yourself!

https://www.sweetmarias.com/

This was the site that got me started roasting my own coffee. Lot of good information. I learned about using the popcorn popper, which I had just sitting around forever.

Basically, you need to search for 'green coffee', if you want to find a place closer to where you live. I found one in Tampa, but still look for one a little closer still. There is a huge assortment of beans to choose from. Central and South American coffees are the most reasonably priced. Wasn't thrilled with Columbian I bought (suspect it was a blend of several different beans, never could get a consistant and even roast). The Costa Rican beans are amazing.

I've only been roasting for a couple of months, so no expert, but get consistant results. Will say that this is definately an outdoor sport...
A little curious about two coffees I see on most ever site I read about beans. The Hawiian Kona and Jamacian Blue Mountain, both are $20-30 per pound, compared to $2.80-$6.00 for most everything else. Just can't imagine how people would pay such a high price for a cup of coffee.

thanks for the link
i've had some hawiian Kona , it was preground ,but it was really , really good..
it had a kick like espresso, but it wasnt
truely yummy stuff
lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…