Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AVR USART by software?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMikey83

Without buying new controllers, I have two controllers I can use for a project. I have ATmega32's and ATtiny11's.
The project is to turn my cars cruise control buttons into iPod play controls. The buttons will connect to the controller which when pressed will send a serial command and button release to the iPod through the dock connector.
I don't want to use a huge ATmega32 for a 3 input project but the ATtiny11's dont have a built in USART.
Is there a way to do this with software through an output?
~Mike

MrMikey83 said:
Without buying new controllers, I have two controllers I can use for a project. I have ATmega32's and ATtiny11's.
The project is to turn my cars cruise control buttons into iPod play controls. The buttons will connect to the controller which when pressed will send a serial command and button release to the iPod through the dock connector.
I don't want to use a huge ATmega32 for a 3 input project but the ATtiny11's dont have a built in USART.
Is there a way to do this with software through an output?
~Mike

Don't do AVR, so I can't give you code, but it's TRIVIAL on a PIC, or any processor - so I'm sure it will be trivial on an AVR as well!. The extremely old Commodore VIC20 used a software UART back in the very early days of home computers!.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back