back to step 1. i need a first setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanD

howdy,

Ok i'm a EE and in school i took 2 embedded systems classes and then my senior design project. one class was assembly based, one C based (Renesas dev board), and we used C to program a PIC for our senior design project.

But that was like 4 years ago and i havent touched em since. I want to build an LCD display that will display various aftermarket electrical sensors in my car. basically 8 ADC channels or so w/ realtime display. maybe drive some LEDs for a shiftlight or something. I would also really like to stick to C programming.

I started a thread earlier but i was already ahead of myself. I want to make sure what i'm working with makes sense and will be able to complete the project. i have 2+ options at the moment.

I have my Renesas M16C/26 dev board w/ software, USB programmer, etc. everything i would need. I think the chip is capable, but its a surface mounted dev board w/ all sorts of junk on it. so i wouldnt be able to program a chip to put in a socket on a PCB in the future. i could jsut stuff the whole dev board in teh car, but thats a little sloppy. Also it seems like PIC has the most support out there so mayb ei should take that route so that i can get help when needed

So that brings up choice #2. A friend of mine who will help out works w/ PIC18F448s at work and has a setup w/ a big (8x40) LCD already working so we could utilize that knowledge. We would have to buy software, a programmer, and a chip or two of our own though.

Or. should i go w/ a proven beginner recipe? it seems the PIC16Fs are popular. Are they up to the task? Can i still program them in C?

So in short, what is the most supported setup i can get thats cheap and will work for application?

Thanks a lot!
Dan

a 16f877a is a good choice for ur requirement , if u don't need large lcd display

I'm actually looking to build something like this: **broken link removed**

so a decent sized LCD is a must.

I was also leaning toward the PIC18X because i read on microchip's site that theyre more high language oriented. that sounds great to me assembly sounds a little daunting at this point, honestly. I can visualize a C program structure to do this in my head right now, but i'd have to do a lot of thinking to get my head around an assembly version.

I'm probably being naive, but isnt there some sort of nice C library out there w/ cute little RPM bars and simple graphics? :-D

and yep, i read through his tutorial's last night and theyre great. if i have to go the assembly route, theyd be a life saver.

and lastly, is there a budget programmer out there for the PIC18X? i could build one if need be. i've seen a few plans already, but i'm almost hesitant to throw one more variable into the "crap this doesnt work!" situation i'll inevitably face. I would use MPLAB and their Ccompiler that is free for students for the project if i went the PIC18X + C route

thanks again all.

PIC18F's have the C18 compiler which comes in a free student version. The higher end chips like the PIC24, dsPIC30 and dsPIC33 have the C30 compiler which also comes in a free student version.

For any of these MCUs I would recommend getting some varient of the ICD2. Whether it be the real thing, a clone like the one from OLIMEX, or a home brew one, the ICD2 is the best programmer out there for these devices.

By alternative, do you mean a different programmer all together or something other than a Microchip branded product?

A full USB ICD2 clone by Olimex is under $100. An RS232 only version is under $60. Both can be purchased from www.sparkfun.com . If you go the home brew route, you can build one for under $10 but you will need a programmer to get the initial bootloader onto the ICD2's controller.

You will be very hard pressed to find a better programming platform for PICs then the ICD2.

i just meant an alternative to microchip to save money. the olimax sounds like the ticket. thanks

You wouldn't need the development board. You can use ICSP (In Circuit Serial Programming) with your existing project.

The ICD2 does not supply power to the target via the USB port. USB only powers the onboard logic. The output side of the ICD2 works best when receiving power from your target. This way the signal buffers can be set to match the Vdd level of your board whether it be 2V or 5V.

The ICD2 has a built in 5V regulator which can be used to power your target if need be but it requires the use of an external wall wart and overall it is less reliable then getting power from your target.

ah, i see now. perfect.

akg, what things in a MC should i look for for driving a large LCD? I would like it to be able to some day in my dreams a large dot matrix type LCD.

so far i think i've settled on the PIC18F4480 chip in a 40pin PDIP package. does this have enough grunt to be 'future proof' for this application? would the PIC18F4580 be used since it has double the memory for fifty cents?

do you guys have a source of a good microcontroller oriented electronics shop online to get my oscillators, sockets, etc, or should i just dig through mouser.com?

thanks again

would it be advisable to use a smaller character LCD for debugging? if so are there any simple LCD+controller+code combinations available?

then eventually i can migrate to a fancier display

DanD said:
would it be advisable to use a smaller character LCD for debugging? if so are there any simple LCD+controller+code combinations available?

then eventually i can migrate to a fancier display

Use a text LCD to start, they are VERY much simpler than graphic ones, both to program and to interface - also they use a standard chip set. There are a number of different graphic LCD types, and they program differently, they are a more complicated to interface, and a lot more complicated to use.

My tutorials provide fast, reliable, proven code for text LCD's.

Once you've got a text display working, then try moving to a graphic one, the experience gained with the simpler text module will stand you in good stead!.

You might try a friend of mines site?, which gives some graphic LCD code.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…