Bad headphone jack? (was Identifying a zener diode)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tab a

I've replaced a bad diode and resistor, and transistor (though the old one tests OK with a DMM) on the power board of a Sony CFD-20 boombox. I now have power again, and have found the radio works through the headphones but NOT through the speakers.

It finally dawned on me that on this unit, when the headphones are plugged in, the speakers don't work. I then found that when the phones are not plugged in, there is no continuity between the speaker leads and the output tracks to the headphone jack, on the board. Is this pretty much all I need to know to conclude something is amiss in the headphone jack 'box'?

Thanks.

Probably so - I'm presuming you plugged the speakers back in?, and not the wrong way round? (assuming that is possible).

Thanks Nigel.

I removed the headphone jack and jumpered the appropriate tracks, and my wife is now happily listening to her boombox again!

I can't figure out how, but I wonder if there's a connection between the headphone jack failure and the zener/resistor failures? Or more likely, true, true, and unrelated?

As an, I hope, end to this thread, would you happen to have access to the part # for the headphone jack. There is no number on it. If it's available I may try to replace it for her, if not, no problem.

Thanks again.

Hi,
Headphone jack's are widely available. There are a few types with slighlty different mountings etc. You should be able to get one from any number of electronics parts stores, there are several online. I believe www.digikey.com in the USA. Also www.rapid-online.com deliver worldwide.

I'm sure the American guys here will offer info on other web sites in the US.

You should be able to find somehting to fit by looking and comparing what's online with what you have.

I assume it's a 3.5mm stereo jack? maybe wrong tho

I had looked at several sites before asking, and thought the chances of me selecting one that would fit would be slim, at best. Probably not worth the aggravation without a part #--maybe not even with one.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…