Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Basic Subject About Integrated Circuit Enable Pin :o)

Status
Not open for further replies.

senem

Hi,
I have a question about integrated circuits. I have an integrated circuit and its document sheet explains that it is active on Logic Low at Enable pin. So, if I want to make int.cir. active, should I connect Enable pin to ground? I wonder whether logic low is equal to ground.
If I connect Enable pin to ground, will integrated circuit be active?

Thank you.

senem said:
Hi,
I have a question about integrated circuits. I have an integrated circuit and its document sheet explains that it is active on Logic Low at Enable pin. So, if I want to make int.cir. active, should I connect Enable pin to ground? I wonder whether logic low is equal to ground.

Thank you.

Hi there,

According what u describe, u can connect the enable pin to GND (ground of IC's power supply) to activate it.

free 8)

senem said:
Hi,

Thank you.
You are misundersatnding the meaning of "active" in this case. It does not refer to "activating" the IC.

Logic inputs are either Active High or Active Low. Take a NAND gate for example. The inputs are Active High and the output is Active Low.

What this means is that the AND function occurs when both inputs are High and so the output is Low. In other words, the output is Low when both inputs are High.

In the case of a NOR gate, again the inputs are Active High (AH) and the output is Active Low (AL). But the OR function occurs when either (or both) input is High and so the output is Low. In other words, the output is Low when either or both inputs are High.

You said that your IC has an active Low Enable. So (as you said) to enable it you need to set this pin Low, ie. connect to gnd.

If you look at the Digital Dice circuit I posted here https://www.electro-tech-online.com/threads/i-am-making-a-rotatable-cd-stack-and.8543/
you will see that IC2 has a PE (Parallel Enable) input that is AH, a Ci input that is AL and a Co output is also AL. IC2 is a counter. It counts when PE is low and does a parallel input when PE is High.

Len

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back