Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Battery Charger 72v 10 Amp

Status
Not open for further replies.

muler

i want to charge 6 lead acid batteries each have 12 volts and I connect in series but i can't get the best charger so I need a 72v/10A charger in my project so if you can support me PLEASE THANKS

Actually you will need to charge them to about 13.6V per battery, making it about 81.6V. You need a 1kW power supply. You can buy one much cheaper than you can build one. I would look for a used lab supply rated 100V/10A. We used to make them when I worked at power 10.

Read this. You will have to multiply the per cell voltages by 36

Hy muler,

Welcome to ETO.

I see you are from Ethiopia. This gives us an idea about your mains supply voltage and also what components you are likely to be able to buy (placing your area in your tag on the left allows us to immediately see your location, without having to access your profile page).

Charging batteries in series is fought with problems. Although it may not seem so at first consideration, your best bet is to use 6 independent battery chargers and connect one charger across each battery. The batteries could still be connected in series if required. The battery stack, even while on charge, could still be used to power any equipment if that is what you want to do.

You need to choose the battery type appropriate for your intended use. In general, there are two broad categories of lead acid batteries: automobile types and deep discharge types. The deep discharge types are designed for static applications, like boats and campers. Used for the latter, standard automobile batteries would not last long.

If you could tell us a bit more about your application that would help us give you the most comprehensive answer.

spec

Last edited:
if your batteries are aged or not matched then overcharge may occur in the weakest cell of any battery. Thus shunt limiters are necessary for each battery, which might draw 1/6th of your 1kW, when the 1st battery is charged waiting for the others to catch up.

Will you ensure each cell has matched s.g.? if not , the above is essential to prevent premature failure.

If you want a cheap but unregulated charger use a 25A diode bridge and a 5kW water heater in series with each battery bank. Then use a triac dimmer to adjust the charge rate or better with a regulator to control the triac. It may only be 33% efficient, but cheap and makes hot water too.

Charging batteries in series is fought with problems.
True. The A-hr capacities have to match or you will be overcharging some severely while the others fill up.

If slow charge is adequate, use a small charger on each battery.

Need actual specs for the design or else it's all just random speculation.

This is just an example of the kind of power supply that you could use to charge your six batteries. Just adjust the output voltage to 15V and put a 20A minimum 30V peak inverse voltage minimum silicon diode in series with each battery. You would need six of theses supplies: **broken link removed**

spec

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back